If you’re a Russian citizen living or traveling outside of Russia, you will have difficulties accessing content from your home country. This is true for almost all countries, as international copyright laws force geo-restrictions on a lot of content and media. Geo-blocked sites work by blocking IP addresses from specific areas. This means that accessing Russian based content sites is impossible if you don’t have a Russian IP address.
How to Get a Russian IP Address Outside of Russia
This could be easily managed by using a VPN. Here’s how you can use a VPN to get a Russian IP outside of Russia.
How to Get a Russian IP Address Using a VPN
Having a Russian IP can work to your advantage if you’re outside of Russia. You can keep up with all of the shows, podcasts, and movies from your home country without having to book a plane ticket home. By using a VPN, you can easily change your IP address to a Russian IP address, and you don’t have to be very tech-savvy to do it. Here’s how you can get a Russian IP using a VPN:
- Sign-up with a VPN service provider that has a server in Russia, like ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app that works best with your device. Most VPNs will have apps for Mac, Windows, iOS, and Android devices.
- Launch the app and sign-in with your account.
- Pick a Russian server and connect to it.
- Wait for the connection to be established.
- Enjoy your Russian IP address.
Best VPN Suggestions:
ExpressVPN is widely considered the best VPN service provider on the market. Its connection speed is impeccable, it has more than 2000+ servers all over the world, and it comes with a build in killswitch to protect your data at all times. ExpressVPN also offers a 30-Day Money-Back guarantee, so you can test out the service for yourself before committing to it.
If you decide that ExpressVPN isn’t the VPN for you, here’s a list of the top-tier VPNs that can help you get a Russian IP outside of Russia.
Why a Russian IP?
I know that Russia isn’t the most internet-friendly country in the world. It’s understandable that with all the censorships imposed on Russian internet, getting a Russian IP address might seem counterintuitive. There are a few solid reasons for you to use a Russian IP, mainly:
- Gaming on a Russian Server: While Russians get a lot of hate in the online gaming community for spamming non-Russian servers, gaming on a Russian server has its perks: gamers are a lot more disciplined during the actual game and connections are faster and more reliable if you have Russian IP address. To be very candid, my personal experience made me realize that the toxicity exhibited by Russian players on non-Russian servers doesn’t really exist on a Russian server…I have no idea why.
- Access Russian Content: Just like with any other country, Russian content still has to deal with pesky international copyright laws. If you’re a Russian expat who’s feeling homesick, a Russian IP can help you keep up with your local shows and programs.
- Learn Russian: The fastest way to learn a language is to consume its media. You can access Russian learning sites, movies, shows and much more with a Russian IP, making your language learning a lot faster.
- Improve your Online Security: Changing your IP, even if it’s to a Russian IP, adds an extra layer of security. This makes it a lot more difficult for third-parties to track you down.
Get A Russian IP – Final Thoughts
If you want to get access to Russian content outside of Russia, you’re going to need a Russian IP. A VPN can help you change your IP address whenever you want, wherever you want without having to relocate. If you’re interested in which VPN you should use in Russia, take a look at our best VPN for Russia as the year 2018.