More and more streaming channels taken the VPN blacklisting approach as a way to minimize copyright violations. Many Indian expats have reported VPN errors when trying to access Hotstar from abroad, and that’s what we’re here for. Learn how you can fix the Hotstar VPN detected error in the guide below.
Why Do I Get the Hotstar VPN Error?
Many streaming platforms block access to their services, and Hotstar is no exception. The streaming giant has imposed geo-restrictions to comply with the content’s producer requirements, reduce copyright violations, and avoid content piracy. For all of these reasons, you’ll be met with the following error message “Content Unavailable. The content is currently unavailable in your region.”
Alternatively, you might be presented with this “Uh-oh, we cannot playback due to geographic restrictions”.
Anyone who tries to access Hotstar from abroad will be blocked. Unless he/she makes us elf a VPN service provider. A VPN is guaranteed to bypass the restrictions imposed on Hotstar, allowing users access to its services no matter what the circumstances are. Little did these international users know, that even with a VPN, they might come across another error message that reads: “You seem to be using an unblocked or proxy. Please turn off these services and try again. If you continue to see this after turning off the proxy, please reach us at [email protected].”
How Does Hotstar Know I’m Using a VPN?
Apparently, Hotstar has started blacklisting VPN IP addresses just like BBC iPlayer and Sky Go. This means that even if you’re connected to a VPN, you might still receive the error messages listed above. However, this doesn’t mean your VPN is not working, it is.
You do appear to be connecting to the internet as if you’re in India, but the VPN just doesn’t work with Hotstar. Connecting to a different VPN server in India might help fix the problem. But, if it doesn’t, you might want to start looking for a new VPN service provider. Let’s take a look at the best VPN services that work with Hotstar.
Best VPN for Hotstar
There are many VPNs out there that promise excellent services as well as guaranteed results, but very few live up to their claims. To unblock major streaming services like Hotstar, you need a premium quality VPN provider. After careful examinations and testings, we’ve come to the conclusion that ExpressVPN is the best VPN service you can use to beat regional restrictions. Check out some of this provider’s most significant features:
- Successfully unblocks overseas content
- Provides easy-to-use software for devices running on Android, Linux, Windows, Mac, and iOS
- Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Allows up to 3 concurrent VPN connections
- Offers 24/7 customer support
Now, if you’re still on the fence whether or not you should subscribe to ExpressVPN, make sure you check out the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
Smart DNS Alternative
A Smart DNS proxy is an option you must not overlook if a VPN does not strike your fancy. Connecting to a Smart DNS enables you to unblock geo-restricted sites from all over the world. This provider is compatible with almost every streaming device out there. You can stream Hotstar on iPhone, Mac, Apple TV, Roku, Chromecast, PS3/PS4, Amazon Fire TV, and Xbox. Here’s some information about a Smart DNS:
- A Smart DNS does not change your IP address.
- This provider does not encrypt your Internet traffic.
- You don’t gain anonymity with a Smart DNS.
- If your ISP uses transparent proxies or DNS hijacking, then Smart DNS will probably not work well for you.
What Is so Special about Hotstar?
We’ve already established that Hotstar is the most popular streaming service in all of India. As a matter of fact, it’s become almost a necessity for Indian expats living in the US, the UK, Canada or anywhere across the globe. The reasons why one would want to unblock Hotstar and remove the dreaded error are many. We’re talking about a service that has the potential to rival against Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
Although Hotstar’s main focus is Bollywood movies and Indian TV shows, it has a variety of content to offer its viewers, such as Game of Thrones. If you’re also a sports fan who’s nowhere near Indian borders, you’ll find in Hotstar the service that meets your sporting expectations. Football, Tennis, Cricket, Kabaddi, Hockey, Formula 1 are some of the events you can stream live online from Hotstar.
Extra Helpful Tips
If for some reason you fail to access Hotstar, and the service is still not working for you, you can try these easy-to-implement workarounds:
- In case you’re using a VPN, try connecting to a different VPN server. Sometimes several VPN IP addresses get blocked by Hotstar.
- If you’re trying to watch Hotstar on a PC or Mac, switch the web browser you’re using. Use Chrome, FireFox, Edge, or Safari.
- Contact your VPN’s support team and ask if they can help you bypass the Hotstar ban.
- You might want to consider signing up with a different VPN service provider if all else fails.
Fix Hotstar VPN Detected Error – Conclusion
Give the VPNs we’ve listed in the article above a try. If they still don’t work with Hotstar, you m might have to dig further and resort to Plan B. Let us know by leaving a comment below how helpful was this guide for you. In case you are aware of any VPN that doesn’t actually work with Hotstar please do give us a heads up.