Wondering how you can install a VPN on FireStick without root or jailbreak? Fire TV is one of the best streaming devices out there. It has a rich library of the biggest streaming channels, with more and more services being added to the list. These include Netflix, HBO, Hulu, ESPN, CBS, and much more. Unfortunately, to take full advantage of the Fire TV Stick, you need to reside in the USA. So you can imagine my frustration when I tried to watch The Handmaid’s Tale from abroad, only to find out that Hulu is geo-blocked. Luckily, there is a workaround. You can use a VPN to spoof your Fire Stick’s online location and make it appear to be in the United States. Therefore, if you wish to know how to set up a VPN on your FireStick, keep reading.
VPN on FireStick – Content Index
The Easiest Way to Install a VPN on Fire Stick
ExpressVPN is a great VPN provider to install on any device. In fact, it was one of the first services to have a dedicated VPN app for Amazon Fire TV and FireStick. Therefore, you will have no problem setting it up. You can download the app for free from their website, but you’ll have to create an ExpressVPN account
to log in.
- What you need to do first is go to ExpressVPN, and register. Simply choose a plan, enter your email, select a payment method, then set up a password.
- Next, open your Fire Stick or Amazon Fire TV and click ‘Apps’ at the top of your home screen.
Go to Apps
- Now go to ‘Categories’ -> ‘Utility’.
- Select the ExpressVPN app. You can also use the ‘Search’ field to look for the app on the Amazon Store, in case you can’t find the Utility section.
- Now press ‘Get‘ to download and install the app. Once the process is complete, hit ‘Open‘.
- Your next step is to sign in to ExpressVPN by entering your Username and Password.
- And finally, all you have to do is choose which server you want to connect to.
- After you establish a VPN connection, click the home button on your Fire Stick remote control.
Benefits of using VPN on Fire TV
You can unlock a lot of hidden features simply by activating a VPN on your Amazon Fire. As a matter of fact, only those who reside in the US take full advantage of the Fire TV. As for those who are outside American borders, you won’t enjoy this service to the fullest. Still in doubt? Here is why you must use a VPN with Firestick:
- Unblock US streaming channels: When you travel outside the US, you won’t have access to most American streaming channels anymore due to geo-restrictions. Showtime, Hulu, HBO GO, ABC Go, NBC Sports, and many more are off limits abroad. But with a VPN, you can change your online location by redirecting your traffic to a US server. Thus, you’ll be able to watch any channel you want from anywhere.
- Access American Amazon Instant Video: Amazon Prime Video is available pretty much everywhere, with the exception of Mainland China, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria. However, the content differs depending on each region, which means that not all users have access to the same library. Therefore, you’ll need a VPN to spoof your location and unblock any show you want.
- Unblock UK channels: Just like their American counterparts, UK streaming channels like BBC iPlayer, ITV, and Channel 4 are unavailable outside their respective region. That means you cannot watch them if you’re outside the United Kingdom. However, with the right VPN, you’ll be able to unblock them no matter where you are.
- Stream videos via Kodi anonymously: Virtual private networks conceal your original IP address and encrypt your internet traffic, which means that your identity and online activity remain hidden from the prying eyes of ISPs or copyright holders.
Install VPN on FireStick with ES Explorer
Before I tell you in detail how you can install Amazon Fire TV VPN without root, I must tell you that not all VPN providers I’ve tested worked properly on the Fire TV. IPVanish was the best of the bunch. So, if you want to enable VPN on your device, I’d suggest subscribing to IPVanish. Once done, follow these steps.
Step 1: Installing ES File Explorer on Fire TV Stick
To install ES File Explorer on Fire TV Stick, you must go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘Device’ -> ‘Developer Options.’ Then, enable ‘Allow apps from unknown sources’ so that you can download the app. In the ‘Search‘ bar, type ES Explorer and click on the icon to begin the download and install process.
Now, you are free to launch the ES Explorer app.
Step 2: Install Fire TV VPN via ES Explorer
You can also install a Fire TV VPN via ES Explorer. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the ES Explorer menu and hit ‘Tools,’ followed by ‘Download Manager‘ in the left-hand menu.
- Next, you need to click on ‘+ New’ from the bottom menu.
- In the ‘Path’ section, type https://thevpn.guru/ipvanish.apk then press ‘OK’.
- As for ‘Name‘, type in ‘IPVanish‘.
- Click ‘Download Now‘ to begin downloading the IPVanish installation file.
- When the IPVanish apk file download is complete, hit ‘Open file‘ to set it up on your Amazon Fire TV.
- Now return to the Fire TV home screen and open the IPVanish app.
- Finally, sign in to your account and connect to any VPN server that you like.
How to Install Fire TV VPN using Apps2Fire
For those who use an Android smartphone or device, I recommend you use the second installation process. With this method, you can install an application from the Google Play Store that allows you to drop any app located on your Android device on your Fire TV.
Step 1: Installing Apps2Fire on Android Device
- Go to Google Play using your Android device.
- In the Search bar, type Apps2Fire then click on the icon. Next, press install.
- You need to download the IPVanish Android app in case you don’t have it.
Step 2: Install Fire TV VPN via Apps2Fire
- First, launch Fire TV and head over to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System’ -> ‘Developer Options.’ Next, enable ‘Allow apps from unknown sources’ followed by ‘ADB debugging’.
- Now, press ‘Settings’ -> ‘System’ -> ‘About’ -> ‘Network’ and write the Ip address of your Fire TV.
- On your Android device, open the Apps2Fire app and press ‘Setup‘. Remember the IP address you wrote before? This is where you must enter it.
- Now search for the IPVanish app in the ‘Local Apps’ section, then click on it and choose ‘Install.’
- You’ll receive a notification from Fire TV when the IPVanish installation is complete.
Install VPN on FireStick Video Tutorial
Setup VPN on Amazon Fire TV – Alternative Methods
There are two other Amazon Fire TV VPN installation methods you can use if your current VPN provider does not have Fire TV applications or in case you own a first generation FireStick. Please note that both these alternatives require more effort and time.
Make Your Own Virtual Router
If you’re operating a PC or Mac, you can use your own VPN connection and share it with the whole house. You can literally turn your PC or Mac into a virtual router by following some simple steps. Once you’re done setting up a Virtual router on your PC/Mac, you can launch a VPN connection and share it with Fire TV directly.
Install VPN on DD-WRT Router
VPN providers have a limit to how many devices can have a connection under one subscription. However, there’s a loophole that I would like to teach you. If you Set up VPN on your DD-WRT router, all the devices that are connected to your home Wi-Fi will have a VPN encrypted connection. That, of course, includes your Fire TV.
Set Up Smart DNS Directly on Fire Stick
This approach is quite different from using a VPN. First, Smart DNS doesn’t encrypt your data, which means that you’ll be operating at full speed when unblocking geo-restricted content. Moreover, Smart DNS reroutes part of your internet traffic. As a result, you can bypass regional restrictions and keep access to your local channels at the same time. The process is quite easy. Just follow these steps and learn how to configure DNS on Fire Stick:
- Launch your Fire Stick.
- Go to ‘Settings’ followed by ‘My Fire TV,’ then ‘About’.
- Write down your connection details.
- Head over Settings -> Network again.
- Select Forget Network.
- Find your network again and click it.
- Type in your Wi-FI password but this time, press Advanced .
- Enter the credentials you noted back in step 3, which are Gateway, IP address, and Subnet Mask (If the last digit was 0, then input 24. If it’s 255, then 32 is your number).
- Put in the new Primary and Secondary DNS.
- All done.
Best VPN for Fire Stick – 2019 Review
With a large number of reliable VPN providers out there, you’d be forgiven for not being able to make up your mind as to which VPN service to choose. I have conducted thorough research and reviews. Check out the official list of the best VPN providers you can use on Fire Stick or Fire TV in 2019.
Last Updated Yesterday
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
How to Install a VPN on FireStick without Root
You won’t really start to truly appreciate your Fire TV unless you install VPN on it. The number of new channels you get to access is really impressive. If you need more help while installing Amazon Fire TV without root or jailbreak, just drop a comment below and I’ll help you out.