How to use VPN on Xbox One? Just because Xbox One is a gaming console doesn’t mean it doesn’t require protection. Whenever you’re online, your security is at risk, even if you’re just playing games online. You never know who is on the receiving end, and you can never be too sure about your online safety. Instead of having to worry about online threats, you should be enjoying your gaming. This is why having quick access to a protected internet connection on any device is necessary, and that can only be achieved via a VPN. Although products like Xbox and PS4 don’t support VPN apps, there are ways to get VPNs on these gaming consoles. Learn how to install a VPN on Xbox One in the following article.
Why Need a VPN for Xbox One?
You need a VPN for Xbox just as much as you need it for any other device. The driving factor is “security”, although that’s not all a VPN can provide. Virtual private networks (VPNs) are used by users to gain control over their own traffic. They protect their data from the prying eyes of hackers, cybercriminals, and ISPs and give them access to regionally restricted content.
Newly released games on a worldwide basis hit the Australian store first due to time zone difference. However, with the use of a VPN, you can spoof your location and make your console think that you’re in Australia. Once you do so, you’ll gain early access to the game. Aside from that, having a VPN on your Xbox (depending on its efficiency) may actually reduce lag while playing.
How to Install a VPN on Xbox One
There are no gaming consoles that directly support VPN services, which is why you would need to look for alternatives. There are two methods for setting up a VPN on Xbox One. The first one would be setting up VPN on your router while the second requires you to share the network connection of your PC or Mac.
- The simplest way to use VPN services on your Xbox One is to set up a VPN on your home Wi-Fi router. Connecting it through a computer’s Network Sharing configuration is also an option, however, security and speed are not reliably maintained when applying this method. For more information on sharing your PC’s VPN connection with Xbox One, read the article here.
- Alternatively, if you own a Mac, use this guide to set up a virtual router on it and share its VPN connection with your gaming console. The best way to get a VPN on your Xbox One is for you to buy a newer Wi-Fi router that offers support for built-in VPN services (the likes of ExpressVPN).
Best VPN for Xbox One
ExpressVPN is an extremely popular service provider that has only been improving with time. Their Smart DNS option and quality services have given this service provider that competitive edge in the market. Unlike VPN, Smart DNS can be directly configured on the PS4 and allows you to access regionally restricted content. So, if its unblocking geo-blocked apps on your Xbox One is what you are after, you can simply use Smart DNS instead of VPN. Keep in mind that you have to change your Xbox One region first in order to install these apps outside their respective regions.
The only downside to ExpressVPN is that it’s pricey compared to other service providers. Regardless, with ExpressVPN you would be paying to maintain your own security and privacy. For other service providers, make sure you check out the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
How to Set Up VPN on Xbox One
Gamers might come across games that are unavailable in their region in the Xbox marketplace or they might feel like their activities are being monitored. Either way, a VPN can take care of these problems and not only will it secure them from DDoS attacks and other malware as such, but also grant them access to their favorite content online. It’s clear that a VPN is of great help on any device, including gaming consoles. Thinking of getting a VPN for your Xbox? Don’t think twice about it. For more information, read best VPN for Xbox here.