Tunlr Closed – Alternative : VPN or Smart DNS Proxy ?
What service did Tunlr provide ?
Tunlr was a Smart DNS Proxy provider, Smart DNS Proxy is an alternative to VPN that does has it’s benefits over VPN. I did already write a comparison of both VPN and Smart DNS Proxy. In essence, a Smart DNS Proxy will allow you to watch Netflix, WWE, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Mog, BBC Iplayer, CBC and many others by simply changing your DNS addresses. Tunlr was very popular and had a broad user base in the UK, Australia, Germany and the rest of the world. If you are a user who was using Tunlr or a user who has heard about Tunlr and you are looking for a Tunlr alternative. See the below.
Tunlr closed down, what alternative choices do you have ?
Now that Tunlr shutdown, a Tunlr alternative is in need. You have either one of two choices, use VPN or use another Smart DNS proxy provider.
Tunlr Alternative – VPN
VPN has proven it’s grounds, it has been available for years. At it’s simplest VPN or Virtual Private Network provides a secure tunnel that encrypts your traffic and protects it from eavesdropping, DNS hijacking and man in the middle attacks. It also allows your traffic to appear from the location of the VPN server, so if your VPN provider has a server in the US or the UK you can appear to be coming from either of these two choices. ExpressVPN the VPN provider I use does have more than 300 servers you can choose from using a desktop program. You can be up and running in minutes, steps are Sign up- Download VPN installer “IOS Android MAC Windows” – Insert Username and Password – Choose Country to appear from. Done.
Here are my favorite three VPN Tunlr Alternatives.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
Tunlr Alternative – Unlocator
Unlocator is something else. It is probably superior to Tunlr in many ways AND for now Unlocator is still in Beta and still FREE. If you are a ex-Tunlr user and looking for an alternative give Unlocator a try. If you are new to the Smart DNS Proxy world read on. Unlocator does provide the following features :
- All you need to do is change your DNS IPs and your IP will be supported
- All major streaming sites are supported
- All Netflix regions are supported. In total 90 channels are supported which cover all of the more important channels.
- The biggest feature Unlocator do have and that was not even available in Tunlr is their Netflix region changer, it allows you to change your Netflix region without changing your device configuration. So you can be watching Netflix USA, CBC Canada and BBC Iplayer at the same time using one configuration.
- If you do have an ISP which does use a transparent proxy to redirect your traffic or DNS hijacking you will have to opt for VPN.
- Setup is as easy as with Tunlr. See Video and Picture guides for setup here.
Tunlr Alternative – Choose and tell :)!
If you opt to go for any ExpressVPN or Unlocator, please do update with a comment so users can share their experience. Thanks for reading !
WARNING !!: A number of users have approached me about DNS codes they find online using Twitter, Google, Youtube..etc. The users wanted to know how good/safe those codes are. As readers of my blog, your online safety is a major concern to me, do NOT use DNS codes you randomly find online, see my article on the risks of using random DNS codes you find online.
I would also suggest Aeroshield smart dns. Cheap and good quality.
Another version of Tunlr is out now, maybe the same one with different owners. My trial subscription was great, everything worked perfectly. After I paid the yearly fee, everything stopped. Same DNS settings but nothing worked. So far there is no support but that might change. When I say nothing worked, the BBC iPlayer will connect but sees me as outside of the UK. Netflix? Can’t even connect to the site. Change back to my router’s DNS and it works fine. I just signed up for the trial unlocater and for the last ten minutes, it’s working fine. We’ll see how it goes. For now, steer clear of Tunlr, that’s my advice.