If you have an Apple TV and live outside of the USA
“Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Ireland, UK, Brazil, Canada, Peru, Mexico, Netherlands
“, you might have noticed that your Netflix
library does not show a lot of great Netflix
shows you can read about online. The reason behind this is that your Netflix
library show up to 10 times less content than the American Netflix library.
In the guide
below I will show you a simple
method on how to change your Netflix region on Apple TV
How to Watch American Netflix on your Apple TV
Watch American Netflix on Apple TV – The intro
At it’s simplest you do NOT have Netflix at all “change your iTunes account to USA by going to Settings>General>iTunes Store> Location and changing your locatin to USA“, or you do have a Netflix but just with a limited library. In either case you do need to use either VPN or Smart DNS as listed below. Each does have it’s advantages and limitations which are explained below.
If you choose to change your whole Apple TV itunes location to USA you will also get the following channels supported using the same method. Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Watch ABC, Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, PBS, A&E, History Channel, Lifetime, Watch ESPN, WWE Network, MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS, Crackle, Crunchyroll.
Watch American Netflix on Apple TV – The VPN Way
VPN “Virtual Private Network” is not supported in the Apple TV configuration. If you want to apply the VPN method you need to have a VPN enabled routers, a good example is DD-WRT, if you are at loss what that means jump to the Smart DNS option below. Otherwise, here are a few more perks of VPN.
- A piece of cake to install and use on major devices such as “Android, Iphone, Ipod, Ipad, Mac and PC“
- Very robust and resistant to ISP limitations and inspections. Mainly due to full traffic encryption.
- If you choose to use this path, you have to configure your router with the VPN setup provided by your VPN service, it does change from provider to provider so read the documents and contact their support if needed. All in all, it should not take more than 10 minutes tops. The good thing is that once that is done, you dont need to apply further changes on your Apple TV.
For this kind of setup, VPN speed and support is very important. From personal experience I can recommend ExpressVPN, the main bandwidth speed is only slightly reduced using their service, and their support is very responsive and helpful.
You can watch US Netflix on Apple TV outside USA using any of these VPN providers.
Watch American Netflix on Apple TV – The DNS Way
SmartDNS is as easy to setup on an Apple TV as counting to 10, all you need to do is change your DNS IP addresses and you are set. Some additional benefits of using a Smart DNS proxy are listed below :
- A fool proof setup that supports the majority of devices available on the market
- You can switch easily between Netflix regions without having to change your Device setup.
- No bandwidth penalty, as only a small subset of your bandwidth flow is re-routed.
- One disadvantage of Smart DNS Proxies is that they can be easily affected by ISP restrictions such as Transparent Proxies and DNS hijacking, in that case VPN is a safe bet.
If you are looking for a Smart DNS Provider check out Unlocator, at 90 channels, a 7 day free trial and highest DNS speeds in the industry you cant go wrong.
American Netflix on Apple TV outside USA – Unblock and Watch
If you want to watch American Netflix on your Apple TV outside US, you have to use VPN or Smart DNS.