How to setup VPN for Kodi on PC, Mac, Android, or Amazon Fire TV? Kodi is a free open source software that enables users to watch live and on-demand TV shows on various streaming devices. A lot of Kodi addons are geoblocked. In order to bypass these regional restrictions, you need VPN. You also need VPN to ensure you are watching content via third-party add-ons anonymously. In this guide, I will show you the various ways you can use to install VPN on Kodi 17.
How to Install VPN on Kodi 17
Why Do I Need to use VPN with Kodi 17?
VPN is an essential tool for Kodi. First, some Kodi addons are geoblocked. That means that even though you are able do install Kodi addons for CBS, ABC, ESPN, BBC iPlayer, ITV, Hulu, Netflix, and others, you get a location error when trying to stream any videos through them. VPN allows you to bypass geographic restrictions imposed on international Kodi addons. Additionally, VPN enables you to anonymously watch movies and TV shows on Kodi addons that are torrent-based. Use VPN to protect your privacy and avoid the risk of getting caught by copyright infringement groups.
How Do I Install VPN on Kodi 17?
There are several ways of installing VPN on Kodi 17 on your streaming device. Keep in mind that you don’t have to setup VPN from within the Kodi app. Running a VPN connection in the background using a VPN app is sufficient.
- You can configure a VPN connection manually via the device’s network settings. This can be done on devices that have a VPN client i.e. Windows PC, Mac, Android, Linux, and iOS. All major VPN services have easy-to-follow VPN setup instructions.
- Alternatively, you can simply download your device’s corresponding VPN application and then connect to a VPN server in the region the Kodi addon is available in.VPN apps are available on PC, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS.
- The process of enabling VPN on Fire TV is a bit more complex than other devices. Follow this tutorial to setup VPN directly on Fire Stick.
- You can also add a Kodi VPN add-on. In this case, you get to establish the VPN connection from within your Kodi 17 app. Follow this guide to install the Kodi VPN Manager. This approach only works for the following operating systems.
- OpenElec (v5 onwards)
- LibreElec (v7 onwards)
- Linux (OSMC, Raspbian etc)
- Windows (v7 onwards)
- Finally, you could install VPN directly on your router instead. DD-WRT, Linux, and Tomato routers are good examples of VPN routers. Once you do that, any device you connect to that router will share its VPN connection.
Best VPNs for Kodi 17
Choosing the right VPN provider can be tricky given the huge amount of VPN services available.
- In general, you should consider two aspects before subscribing to a VPN provider; speed and privacy.
- Some VPN services can seriously drag your Internet speed down to a point where streaming movies or TV shows on Kodi becomes unbearable.
- Make sure that your VPN provides reasonable streaming speeds with no buffering.
- The second point is privacy. A number of VPN providers keep logs of your browsing activities even if they do not admit it. Verify that your VPN service does not log what you are downloading or watching.
If you use VPN mainly for Kodi, head over to ExpressVPN. I have been using their VPN servers with my Kodi for quite some time now and have not encountered any issues. ExpressVPN also offer dedicated VPN apps on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android. In the table below, you can find the best Kodi VPN providers out there.
Last Updated Today
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
How to Install VPN on Kodi 17 – Wrap Up
Given the availability of VPN apps on most streaming devices, there is nothing holding you back from setting up VPN and getting the most out of your Kodi; whether you want to watch movies anonymously or are looking for a way to unblock georestricted content on your Kodi. If you have any inquires or are stuck with the Kodi VPN setup on Windows, OS X, Android, Nvidia, or Amazon Fire TV, feel free to leave a comment below.