American Channels on Apple TV – The basics
The top American channels on Apple TV are listed below :
- HBO Go
- Watch ABC
- Disney Channel
- Disney XD
- Disney Junior
- History Channel
- Watch ESPN
- WWE Network
In order to get this channels to display “they won’t work yet but they will show up” go to Settings>General>iTunes Store> Location on Apple TV and change to the USA. At this stage, the channels show up but won’t work. Now it is time for part two below :
American Channels on Apple TV – Use VPN
Before you read any further, VPN will ONLY work if you do have a VPN enabled router, Apple TV does not natively support VPN. If you do have a DD-WRT enabled router that should not be an issue for you. Otherwise, please see the Smart DNS solution below. If you do want to use VPN the following benefits apply :
- Easy to install apps for iPhone, Ipad, Ipod, Android, Mac, and PC “If you want to use VPN on those device as well”
- Your traffic is encrypted and thus hidden from inspection.
- If you want to connect your Apple TV you will need a VPN enabled router. If you have that all you need is to use PPTP/OpenVPN or otherwise and set up the router as per the VPN provider documentation. There is no one size fits all, the procedure differs a bit from VPN provider to VPN provider.
I have personally used and tested ExpressVPN, speeds are great and more importantly for this kind of setup they to have great support “As not all users do know how to handle their routers”.
Any of these VPN providers will help you unblock US channels on Apple TV.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
American Channels on Apple TV – Use DNS
SmartDNS works flawlessly on Apple TV, all you have to do is change your DNS address on either the router or the Apple TV and you are ready to enjoy the American channels above. A few more points about Smart DNS Proxies are listed below :
- Easy to set up, works on all devices. Check out the Video and Picture guides for setup here
- Only partial traffic is redirected, thus overall speed is not affected.
- Many more channels than the above are supported, so if you have a Roku, FireTV or Ipad you will be able to enjoy way more channels. See a sample provider full channel listing here.
- Smart DNS is not immune to ISP limitations, so if your ISP applies transparent proxies or DNS hijacking, you have to use a DD-WRT router for DNS hijacking or VPN against transparent proxies.
The thing about Smart DNS Proxies is that they are only as good as the supported channel list and the speed of their DNS servers. Unlocator is a Smart DNS proxy provider that sports a 7-day free trial, close to 90 channels and from personal experience the best support in the Smart DNS Proxy industry.