UK readers will know that Channel 4, also known as All4, is a versatile and in-demand content provider. The sad part is that Channel 4 is geo-blocked outside of the UK. That means that expats and AU residents trying to access Channel 4 in Australia will get a geo-error instead. Don’t worry, here are 2 tools you can use to bypass those regional restrictions with ease.
How to Watch Channel 4 in Australia in 4 Easy Steps
How To Watch Channel 4 in Australia with a VPN
Channel 4 is one of the most watched channels in the UK. It offers a variety of content, including movies, shows, and documentaries. The issue here is that Channel 4, or All4, has some serious geo-blocks.
In fact, if you’re outside of the UK, you won’t have access to Channel 4’s services. This is because of international copyright laws. To enforce these restrictions, Channel 4 blocks all IP addresses from outside of the UK.
Great! All you need to do, then, is spoof your IP into a UK IP.
With a VPN, this process is incredibly simple.
What is a VPN?
Let me first explain what a VPN does.
VPNs, short for Virtual Private Networks, are primarily a cybersecurity tool. They basically have 2 main functionalities:
- Encrypting your data.
- Re-routing your traffic through their own secure servers.
The second functionality is what helps you get access to geo-blocked content. When a VPN re-routes your data, it ends up changing your IP too. Your new IP will match the location of the server you used.
So, if you want to watch Channel 4 in Australia, you need to use a UK VPN server to get a UK IP.
How to Use a VPN to Unblock Channel 4 in Australia
Now that you understand how a VPN works, let’s focus on how you can get a VPN and the process you need to go through to unblock Channel 4:
- Sign up with a VPN provider. Try to stay away from free VPNs, they’re very dangerous and won’t do what they advertise.
- Download the VPN app that works on your streaming device. Top-tier VPN providers will have ready-made apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android devices. You can find these apps in Google Play Store or Apple’s App Store.
- Launch the app and select a UK server to connect to.
- Once the connection has established, you can easily access Channel 4’s content.
See? Very simple.
Best VPN for Channel 4
Our VPN expert, Charles, has written a detailed review of the best VPNs for Channel 4.
The quick answer here is ExpressVPN. This service provider offers 2000+ servers in more than 94 countries, an amazing customer support service, and a 30-day money-back guarantee. This way, you can test out the service before you make a real commitment.
If you find that ExpressVPN isn’t the provider for you, feel free to check out these top-tier providers instead:
Last Updated Yesterday
How to Watch Channel 4 in Australia with a Smart DNS Proxy
For a lot of people, a VPN isn’t the ideal option to unblock Channel 4. VPNs will slow down your internet connection in order to re-route your traffic. Top-tier providers have optimized servers to combat this decrease in speed.
However, if a VPN isn’t your cup of tea, you can use a Smart DNS Proxy to watch Channel 4 in Australia instead.
What is a Smart DNS Proxy?
Just like a VPN, a Smart DNS Proxy is a service that you can subscribe to. Also, just like VPNs, the free versions of this service are usually super risky.
Now, a Smart DNS proxy uses dedicated DNS servers to change the DNS of your device.
A DNS is like the internet’s phonebook. It “translates” the website name you type into your address bar into an IP address that computers can understand. By using dedicated DNS servers, a Smart DNS proxy will simply change how a website reads your IP. It will not spoof your IP.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind about Smart DNS proxy services:
- A Smart DNS proxy will not work everywhere. If you’re in a country where your ISP is hijacking your DNS or using transparent proxies, the service will not be able to do its job.
- You will need to configure the Smart DNS on your device. This is a little technical, so only look at services that offer thorough support guides for the installation process.
- Smart DNS proxy services offer up specific channel lists that they unblock. That means that if the channel you’re looking for isn’t found on the list, you will not be able to unblock it. Do your research carefully.
Which Smart DNS Proxy Should You Use?
So, you understand what a Smart DNS proxy is. Great! Let’s talk about which service you should consider using.
To unblock Channel 4 in Australia, I would suggest using Unlocator. Unlocator has a robust channel list, very helpful installation guides, and a sweet 7-day free trial period. You don’t even need a credit card to test this service out! Even after you subscribe, though, you have a 14 day grace period for a refund.
Watch Channel 4 in Australia – Final Thoughts
There you have it, the 2 tools you can use to watch Channel 4 in Australia. Please do note that neither a VPN nor a Smart DNS proxy will get you out of paying a subscription/registration fee imposed by any specific channel. All these tools can do is give access to the service, if you have to pay…you have to pay.