Have you ever come across the “Hulu not available in your location” error? Hulu does feature the newest TV series and movies from US networks like ABC, CBS, NBC. The only problem is you will get a location errors such as the one stated above or “Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States.” if you try to watch Hulu outside the USA on PS4, Xbox, Fire Stick, Roku, Apple TV, Android, Smart TV, iPhone, or iPad. In this guide, I will show you how to use VPN or Smart DNS to bypass regional restrictions. Thus, unblock Hulu in Canada, Australia, UK, or anywhere else overseas.
Is Hulu Available outside the United States?
According to the official Hulu website, the popular American streaming channel is not available internationally. “Hulu is only accessible within the U.S. and on certain U.S. overseas military installations, as we only have streaming rights for our content in these regions.”
Here’s a list geo-error you might get when trying to watch Hulu in UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, Europe or elsewhere outside USA.
- “We’re sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States.” There are two cases in which you might receive a Hulu location error.
- “Your Account is not valid in this region.” Hulu Error 16
- “Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available in the US. If you’re in the US, you’ll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu.”
- HUdeejayErrorDomain 1
- Deejay Error Domain Error 4
The last geolocation error is a result of Hulu blocking your VPN or proxy service. You can find a list of VPNs still working with Hulu outside USA below.
Watch Hulu Plus Outside US – Why?
- Watch Hulu Plus outside the US because you can, if you want to.
- In the globalized world, we live in, there should not be geo-location restrictions on the Internet.
- Hulu Plus boasts the newest TV content from the USA.
- Hulu is a stand-alone streaming service. You don’t actually need a valid US cable subscription like to sign in.
Watch Hulu Plus Outside USA – How?
You have two methods to watch any geo-blocked content online. This works for Hulu Plus and any other online content such as Netflix, BBC Iplayer, and the likes. You can use either of VPN or Smart DNS, this works globally, it does not matter if you are in Australia, Canada, UK or Germany.
Use VPN to Unblock Hulu Outside the US
By using a VPN, or virtual private network, you get to hide your real IP address. Instead, you appear online using an American IP address, this tricks US channels like Hulu, Showtime, HBO, Amazon, and Netflix to think you currently reside in the United States.
- VPN Encrypts all your traffic. Theoretically, no one will be able to know what you are watching.
- VPN is resistant to transparent proxies and DNS hijacking restrictions imposed by your ISP.
- You can use the VPN subscription on your laptop to protect yourself at Wifi Hotspots at airports an Internet cafes.
- If you use a proper VPN provider, you can choose virtually any online country as your source of traffic, and you should not get more than a 10% hit in traffic speed.
- Thanks to VPN apps, you can get up and running in minutes.
- Sign up with a VPN from the list below.
- Download, install, and launch the VPN app on your PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android.
- Sign into the app using your VPN account.
- Then, connect to an American VPN server from within the VPN application.
- Watch Hulu as if you were in the United States.
Having said all of the above, I personally use a VPN provider called Express VPN. They have an extensive network of VPN servers, and their guides and 24×7 live support will allow you to have supported devices up and running in minutes. Most importantly, ExpressVPN offer a 30-day refund policy.
Here are the top VPNs to unblock and watch Hulu outside USA.
Last Updated 2 Days Ago
Use DNS Proxy to Unblock Hulu Outside the US
Alternatively, you can use Smart DNS proxies to access Hulu in Canada, Australia, UK, or anywhere else outside USA.
- All your devices are supported, all you have to do is change the DNS server codes on your devices individually, or simply once at your router. See Video and Screenshot guides for devices here
- Unlike VPN, you do not have to change your VPN server for multi-region content. You can enjoy Hulu Plus, Netflix Canada, BBC Iplayer at the same time. In total around 90 channels are unlocked.
- Your traffic is not encrypted. As a result if your ISP applies transparent proxies or DNS hijacking your only choice is VPN.
- Your speed is preserved, if you use a decent Smart DNS provider only the important parts of your traffic are re-routed.
As with VPN, it really depends on how good your Smart DNS provider is. I can confidently say I tried a lot of Smart DNS providers, analyzed their methodologies and interacted with their support. Unlocator is the provider that uses the least re-routing of traffic thus preserving most of your speed, their support is personal and fast and their setup guides are foolproof. Unlocator lets you try out their service for a 7-day free trial without even providing a credit card.
How to Create A Hulu Account outside USA?
Signing up with Hulu is the final hurdle. You need an American credit card to be able to register your Hulu account. If you don’t have one, you can sign up for an American Paypal account instead. Follow these instructions.
- First of all, make sure your American VPN connection is active and working on your device. This is crucial for this progress to work.
- Go to Paypal and register a new account. You will first need to enter an email and password of your choosing.
- Next, you will be prompted to enter personal information. Enter valid US information. This does not need to be the same as the address linked to your credit card, so I used an address that I created for free (with no credit card required) at myusaddress.ca, and pulled a US phone number from www.fakenumber.org.
- Then, you will have to add a credit card to your new American Paypal account. Enter your credit card information as per usual. When it comes to the billing address, things get a bit tricky. I’ll break it down below:
- Street Address: Enter in the actual street address linked to your credit card.
- City, State, Zip Code: You must now use your postal code as your zip code. To convert a postal code to zip code, take the three numbers out of your postal code in the order they appear and add “01” to the end. For example, if your postal code is A2B 3C4, you would use 23401.
- For the City and State, you will now find where your new zip code is located. In a new tab, go to www.unitedstateszipcodes.org and enter in your new zip code. You will be able to locate both the city and state. For the example of 23401, the city and state is Keller and Virginia, respectively. Return to your Paypal tab and enter in the city and state for your zip code.
- Finally, submit the form, and you will now have an American PayPal account with a linked credit card. This will allow you to sign-up to Hulu and other American streaming services anywhere in the world.
Hulu Supported Streaming Devices
You can get Hulu on the following streaming platforms.
- Amazon Fire TV
- Xbox One
- Xbox 360
- Kindle Fire
- Apple TV
- Blu-Ray Players
- Smart TV
- WD TV
How to Get Hulu App outside the USA?
Once you setup VPN or Smart DNS proxies on your streaming device, you can access the Hulu website as if you were in the United States. Installing the Hulu app outside the USA on other devices, however, requires you to follow these steps:
- Get Hulu App on Xbox One
- In order to install Hulu on your Xbox One, you have to change your gaming console’s region to the USA first. Follow these instructions.
- Get Hulu App on PS4/PS3
- To install American apps on your Playstation console, you need to create an American PSN Account. Here’s how you can sign up for a US Playstation Network account.
- How to Get Hulu App on iPhone, iPad
- In order to be able to install the US app on iOS devices, you have to sign up for an American iTunes account first. Follow this guide to sign up for an American Apple ID without the need for a credit card.
- How to install American apps on Apple TV
- As with iOS devices, you have to create a US Apple ID account to access the American iTunes store on your Apple TV. Use these steps.
- How to Get Hulu App on Roku
- Here’s how you can sign up for a US Roku account and ultimately get American channels on your Roku streaming device.
- Get Hulu App on Android
- How to Install Hulu on Samsung Smart TV
- Follow this guide to change your Samsung Smart TV region to the USA. Afterward, you can add US channels such as HBO GO, Amazon Prime, Vudu, and Hulu to your Smart TV Hub.
- Install Hulu on Sony Smart TV outside the USA
- Go through this guide to change your Sony Smart TV country to USA and install American apps on it outside US.
- Install the Hulu app on Fire Stick
- In order to be able to add American apps to your Fire TV, you have to set up an American Amazon account using a US credit card and address. Once done, use that account to sign in to your Fire TV Stick.
How to Watch Hulu in UK, Canada, Australia outside USA
So to sum it up, in order to get Hulu abroad, follow these steps:
- Sign up with a VPN or Smart DNS proxy service.
- Setup a VPN or Smart DNS on your streaming device.
- Sign up for a Hulu account using an American virtual credit card.
- Finally, change your streaming device’s region to the USA in order to install the Hulu app on it outside the USA.
If you face any issues while completing any of the steps above, simply leave a comment below. I’ll do my best to help you out.