How to watch Hulu outside USA? The fact that Hulu features the newest TV series and movies from US networks like ABC, CBS, NBC makes it a personal favorite of mine. However, if you live outside the US, the service will terminate your access the moment you press play just because you don’t have a US IP Address. Don’t worry, I solved this problem a while ago and it’s time to fix yours. The following tutorial will teach you exactly how to unblock Hulu abroad and stream its content in Canada, Australia, UK, or anywhere else overseas.
Watch Hulu outside the USA in Canada Australia and the UK
Is Hulu Available outside the United States?
According to the official Hulu website, the popular American streaming channel is not available internationally. “Hulu is only accessible within the U.S. and on certain U.S. overseas military installations, as we only have streaming rights for our content in these regions.”
Here’s a list geo-error you might get when trying to watch Hulu in UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, Europe or elsewhere outside the USA.
- “Your Account is not valid in this region.” Hulu Error 16
- “We’re sorry, currently our video library can only be streamed within the United States.”
A VPN can help you out with this problem provided you pick the right one. Yeah, I tried free VPNs before and it didn’t turn out very well eventually. Apparently, Hulu is able to block a lot of VPNs from accessing its content. When I used a free one, this is the error message I got:
“Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available in the US. If you’re in the US, you’ll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu.”
Even some premium VPNs haven’t been able to outsmart the streaming giant in that territory. But don’t worry, I’ve been doing this for quite some time now and I have a few tricks up my sleeves. Read on and find out.
Watch Hulu Plus Outside US – Why?
Are you still asking yourself, why Hulu though? Well, take it from an avid streamer as I am, you have a lot of reasons to subscribe to the service when abroad:
- Watch Hulu Plus outside the US, well, simply, because you can, if you want to.
- In the globalized world, we live in, there should not be geo-location restriction on the Internet.
- Hulu Plus boasts the newest TV content from the USA.
- Hulu is a stand-alone streaming service. You’re not required to have a long term TV cable deal to use it.
Watch Hulu Plus Outside USA – How?
You have two methods to watch any geo-blocked content online. This works for Hulu Plus and any other online content such as Netflix, BBC Iplayer and the likes. You can use either of VPN or Smart DNS, this works globally, it does not matter if you are in Australia, Canada, UK or Germany.
Use VPN to Unblock Hulu Outside the US
I reviewed a lot of VPNs in my days and I know a thing or two that are not so obvious to newcomers. Let’s state what’s on the surface first then we dig deeper into the VPN features. As we all know, a VPN is a security tool that cloaks your IP address and helps you bypass regional restrictions.
Using its military-grade encryptions, a VPN protects your private information from being harvested by cybercriminals, especially when you’re using an unsecured network let’s say in Coffee Shops, Airports, or Hotels.
As for accessing blocked content, all you need to do is connect to a server in a country where the content you wish to unblock is available. In your case here, you’re required to connect to a US server in order to unblock Hulu.
Don’t you think it’s time to get down to business? This is how you get Hulu outside the US:
- As I mentioned, picking the right VPN is a very important step in the process. So, take it from someone who knows better, ExpressVPN can and will unblock Hulu with ease.
- Subscribe to their service and download their VPN application on your device.
- Sign in with your VPN account and head over to the server list. You’ll find more than 2000 servers in 92 countries when you surf ExpressVPN’s list.
- Search for a server in the United States and hit connect.
- This may take a few seconds. Wait a bit until the connection takes place.
- Once connected, launch Hulu’s website or its dedicated application.
- Stream the likes of The Handmaid’s Tale, Chance, The Path, and more anywhere in the world.
You see, ExpressVPN is one of the few providers that are able to unblock Hulu. Not only that, but you also get to protect your privacy courtesy of their no-log policy.
Furthermore, if ExpressVPN’s doesn’t seem to do it for you, you can ask for a refund provided you’re still in the 30-day period. That said, shall we take a look at other top VPNs for Hulu?
Last Updated Today
- 30-Day Money-back Guarantee
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Apps For All Your Devices
- 24/7 Live Support
Use DNS Proxy to Unblock Hulu Outside the US
If a VPN doesn’t do you justice, just change your DNS settings with the help of a Smart DNS proxy. You will be able to access Hulu in Canada, Australia, UK, or anywhere else outside the USA eventually.
- You have a wider variety of devices to stream on with Smart DNS. Just follow these setup guide and learn how to configure Smart DNS according to the platform you’re using.
- Unlike VPN, you do not have to change your VPN server for multi-region content. You can enjoy Hulu Plus, Netflix Canada, and other streaming services altogether. In total around 330 channels are unlocked.
- Your traffic is not encrypted. As a result, your speed remains untampered with. However, you won’t be protecting your data in the process.
As with VPN, it really depends on how good your Smart DNS provider is. I can confidently say I tried a lot of Smart DNS providers, analyzed their methodologies and interacted with their support. Unlocator is the provider that uses the least re-routing of traffic thus preserving most of your speed, their support is personal and fast and their setup guides are foolproof. Unlocator lets you try out their service for a 7-day free trial without even providing a credit card.
How to Create A Hulu Account outside the USA?
Signing up with Hulu is the final hurdle. You need an American credit card to be able to register your Hulu account. If you don’t have one, you can sign up for an American Paypal account instead. Follow these instructions.
- To start the process, you need to appear as if you’re browsing the web from the US. Therefore, connect to a US server first.
- Do you have Paypal? If not, register as a new user by submitting the information they ask for. That includes an email and password.
- Now, this is a tricky part so please be careful. You’ll be asked to provide an address and a mobile number, both associated with the US. To get those, visit www.myusaddress.ca for the address and www.fakenumber.org for a phone number.
- After that, comes the annoying part which is the Credit Card. Just submit your info and let me guide you through this as there are a few tricks you should do.
- Your address can be the one associated with your credit card, it doesn’t matter.
- Zip Codes are very annoying. You always give up on registering because of them. Actually, getting one is easy. All you have to do is change your postal code to a zip one. To do so, take the numbers from the postal code and put in 01 after them. For example, let’s say your postal code is A4B5C3, your Zip code will be 45301. Very simple.
- Your State or City can be determined easily if you enter the new zip code in this State Identifier.
- You’re all done. You now have US Paypal and can subscribe to Hulu wherever you are.
Hulu Supported Streaming Devices
I stream Hulu content on my PlayStation 4. But the best part is, Hulu is compatible with most of the platforms available. See below and check if your device is included:
- Windows PC
- Amazon Fire TV
- Nintendo Wii
- Kindle Fire
- Apple TV
How to Get Hulu App outside the USA?
Whatever device you’re using, whether it’s a console, PC, Mac, or any other streaming platform, the type of content you get is limited to what your region offers. Speaking of, the Hulu application is only available in American stores. If you wish to get it in your territory, you should do the following:
Hulu on Xbox One
Before you attempt to search for the app, you need to switch your Xbox One’s country. Otherwise, Hulu won’t appear in the Store to download.
Hulu on PlayStation
Changing a region on Xbox is one thing, and creating a different account is something else. While using a PlayStation, you need to create a PSN account in the United States. After that, you’ll get access to not only Hulu but other US-based streaming services as well.
Hulu on iOS
Same thing, different device. All that is required of any iOS user is to register as an American user. After you create an American iTunes account, you’ll be able to download Hulu despite living outside the US. Oh, by the way, no credit card needed.
Apple TV’s Hulu App
It’s quite frustrating to own a popular streaming device in hopes of getting the best of the best channels and suddenly you notice that it’s not possible. Well, it is actually if you know your way around it. Apple TV requires an Apple ID. So, just like iPhones and iPads, all you need to do is get a US iTunes account and Hulu will be at your disposal.
What about Roku?
Regions seem to be the only obstacle in our way, including with Roku. If you own a Roku device, just create a new American profile and you have all the US services available in your grasp.
This one is pretty easy actually. No new account is required, just a few taps here and there and you’re done. After you change your Play Store’s country and pinpoint it in the US, you get to watch Hulu anywhere.
FireStick and Hulu
This one is harder than the aforementioned devices. When you want to get Hulu on your Fire Stick, you’re required to sign in with a US Amazon account. Yeah, I know, you’re going to need an American Credit Card to do so and an actual address. But trust me, a Fire TV or a Stick are actually useless without American Channels included.
Watch Hulu in the UK, Canada, Australia outside the USA
It’s possible my friends and you don’t need to work that hard to achieve it. I already told you that the best VPN to access Hulu abroad is ExpressVPN. Try it out, you won’t lose anything, they offer a 30-day cash back guarantee. Let me know what you think. I’d love to hear from you on whether my VPN fulfilled your needs or not.