is British TV. The online streaming
package Sky Go provide is unsurpassed for watching British TV online. However, if you are an expat abroad, a student overseas or on vacation in Spain
outside the UK. You will notice that Sky Go does give you a regional error about your current location being blocked. In order to bypass regional restrictions you have to spoof/fake your location
. In this simple how to I will show you how to unblock and watch Sky Go abroad
using VPN or Smart DNS Proxies.
How to watch/unblock Sky Go outside UK
How to Unblock Sky Go outside UK – Intro
Sky Go does provide a great range of channels, and it supports a wide array of devices, and you do NOT need a Sky+ account to get a Sky Go account. To unblock Sky Go abroad you have to use one of the two methods below. Namely VPN and Smart DNS Proxies. Each of these methods have it’s merits but there are quite a few differences which are explained.
First this is a list of some of the supported Sky Go channels :
- Channel 4
- Sky 1
- More 4
- Sky Disney
- Sky Action
- Film 4
- Sky Sports 1/2/3/4
- Sky Drama
- Animal Planet
- Nat Geo
- Sky Premiere
- Sky Family
- Cartoon Network
- Disney XD/Channel/Junior
- Cartoon Network
- Sky Showcase
How to Watch Sky Go Abroad – VPN
VPN refers to Virtual Private network. It does send your Internet traffic to a new server to spoof your location. In this instance you a VPN service with UK servers. This way the Sky Go servers would assume you are physically in the UK. A few more notable features of VPN are listed below
- All Internet traffic is encrypted. Your traffic cant be interrupted or inspected.
- US content is also available if you do use a USA VPN server. I.e. Hulu Plus, Netflix, WWE Network, etc.
- VPN is resistant to restrictions applied by ISPs that can affect Smart DNS. Some examples are DNS Hijacking and Transparent Proxies.
- No matter what VPN providers say, even the best VPNs will bring your Internet speed down by 10%.
- VPN does work on all Sky Go supported devices. Since a lot of devices do not support VPN by default. You will need a VPN enabled router if you do wish to use VPN on other devices.
I have tested a lot of VPN providers. ExpressVPN works best if you want to get Sky Go in USA, Canada, Australia, or elsewhere outside UK. You can also use any of the top VPN services listed below.
How to Stream Sky Go Overseas – DNS Proxy
Smart DNS Proxies are different from VPNs by design. Smart DNS Proxies only redirect the segments of traffic related to identifying your location. See a few more notes about DNS Proxies :
- Unblocks multiple regions at once. You can watch Sky Go, American Channels “Netflix, Hulu, Fox, ABC Go, WWE Network“, Canal Plus all at once without change of configuration.
- You can change Netflix regions with a drop down box.
- All Network devices are supported and setup is quite easy. This includes Smart TVs, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV and other devices not supported by VPN.
- No bandwidth speed hit, as not all traffic is re-routed.
- Smart DNS is weak against DNS Hijacking and Transparent Proxies, if your ISP applies either of those you might have to use VPN. Vodafone is an example of an ISP that applies DNS Hijacking.
Unlocator do provide a week long free trial. Around 214 unblocked channels in addition to Video guides, and screenshot documentations for easy setup.
List of Sky Go Compatible Devices
And here are is a list of the more prominent Sky Go Supported Devices.
- Iphone, Ipod, Ipad
- Xbox 360
- Xbox One
- Apple TV
- Now TV
Sky Go Geo-Errors
If you try watching Sky Go programs overseas, you will get one of the following geo-errors. This is mainly because you are not currently residing in the UK.
- “Sky go is only available to users connecting from within the UK or Republic of Ireland. You appear to be outside of these territories.”
- Sky ID Error 288
Unblock Sky Go Outside UK – Watch as an Expat Abroad
Whether you are a UK expat working or on holiday in Spain, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Cyprus, Australia, USA, Canada, France, all you need to unblock and watch Sky Go abroad is VPN or Smart DNS proxy.