How to stream Viaplay anywhere? Viaplay is a VoD and live-TV streaming service available in Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and the Netherlands. The channel is geoblocked outside these Nordic countries.
If you’re an ex-pat living in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, or France, you’ll find that the service is not operational in your region.
Geo-blocking can be an issue, especially if you’re a dedicated streamer. Therefore, we created this guide to show you how you can bypass such restrictions and access Viaplay regardless of where you might be physically residing.
Viaplay Anywhere – Quick Guide
Time needed: 4 minutes
Let’s cut to the chase. If you wish to watch Viaplay in your country, here’s everything you need to do:
- Subscribe to a VPN service.
ExpressVPN is highly recommended as it has servers in all of Viaplay’s supported countries.
- Get the VPN app on your device and sign in with your account.
Enter your username and password, then head over to the server list.
- Pick a server in a country where Viaplay is available.
You can connect to a server in Finland, Denmark, the Netherlands, Sweden, or Norway.
- Launch Viaplay’s website or application.
We’ll show you how to get the channel on any device in your country.
- Sign in with your Viaplay account.
If you don’t have an account, follow this guide to create one.
- Start watching Viaplay wherever you are.
Access one of the most popular Nordic channels anywhere.
Get Viaplay in Your Country – Full Walkthrough
There’s a lot more to know when it comes to unblocking Viaplay abroad. We’ve included everything you need in this in-depth guide:
To unblock Viaplay outside the Nordic region, you must have everything on the list below:
- A credible VPN.
- ViaPlay account.
- A Viaplay-supported device.
Viaplay – Strictly Nordic
The question that’s on everybody’s mind: Is Viaplay available in my country? Technically, no. Viaplay only operates in the Nordic regions, which means that you can’t access it outside Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, and Poland.
Not only that but on March 1st, 2022, the service was made available outside the Nordic region – in the Netherlands.
Due to copyright reasons, the channel cannot show its content overseas. But how can it determine one’s location? Well, this is what we call geo-blocking, where the channel uses geolocation techniques, such as examining your IP address to pinpoint your whereabouts.
Once it figures out that you’re outside its coverage area, Viaplay will block your access almost instantly. The following error messages will show up if you’re trying to access Viaplay from abroad:
- “Där du befinner dig just nu kan du endast se det material som du har laddat ned till din mobiltelefon eller surfplatta.”
- “Där du befinner dig just nu kan du inte se det här innehållet.”
- “Something went wrong. Viaplay is unable to load the content. Please try again later.”
- “Sorry… You cannot view this content where you are right now.”
The messages above reflect all the errors you might get when you try to view a video. However, to play content, you’ll need an account.
That’s where another message pops up as you’re not allowed to sign up for Viaplay outside the Nordic region:
- “Där du befinner dig just nu kan du inte registrera ett nytt konto eller köpa och byta paket.”
Your location dictates most of what you can access on the internet, but we’re here to change that. If you follow the steps presented above, you’ll be able to bypass those restrictions and watch Viaplay anywhere.
VPN – The Benefits
VPN is the best and most convenient way to unblock Viaplay. VPN was primarily used to encrypt data and protect online privacy. Now more and more people are using VPNs to access geoblocked channels.
VPN allows you to obtain an IP address from Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, or Finland. Once your device has VPN installed, it’ll appear to be connected to the Internet in a country of your choice.
But as mentioned, a VPN is first and foremost a cybersecurity tool, which comes with the following benefits:
- VPN’s data encryption protects your data. It also prevents agencies, snoops, and ISPs from spying on you.
- The fact VPN sends all your traffic to a foreign server means that you’ll experience a speed reduction of around 10%.
- VPN apps for iPhone, Android, Mac, iPad, and PC makes installing VPN on these devices a matter of minutes.
- DNS Hijacking and Transparent Proxies cannot stop VPN from bypassing geographic restrictions.
We recommended ExpressVPN for a reason, as it has servers in Finland, Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. That’s all you need to watch Viaplay anywhere using VPN.
However, it’s not the only provider capable of getting the job done. We’ve tested several VPNs with Viaplay and the ones in the table below stood out, courtesy of their excellent service, fast speeds, and refund policy.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
How to unblock and watch Viaplay – Smart DNS Solution
If you try to sign up for a Viaplay account outside Norway, Finland, Sweden, or Denmark, you’ll get the following message “This content is not available in your region.” Smart DNS allows you to bypass such regional restrictions. It simply hides your true location from geo-restricted channels. Take a look at Smart DNS benefits.
- Smart DNS enables you to watch all four Viaplay regions simultaneously. Stream the Finnish, Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian Viaplay versions using a single Smart DNS setup.
- Smart DNS only alters the route of a part of your connection. Consequently, your Internet speed is left unchanged.
- Local IP address is not changed. No restrictions on your local websites.
- Android, PC, Chromecast, Mac, iPhone, and Xbox, and Playstation are compatible with Viaplay.
- An ISP can use DNS Hijacking and Transparent Proxies to stop Smart DNS. You need to use VPN to unblock geo-restricted content if your ISP does the same.
Make sure that whichever Smart DNS Proxy service you choose actually provides you with DNS codes to unblock Viaplay. Unlocator‘s list of 215 unblocked streaming channels. You can also find videos and screenshots to help you with installation.
How to Create a Viaplay Account Anywhere
To watch Viaplay, you must first create an account and subscribe to the service. And now that you have a VPN, you can do exactly that. Just follow the steps below:
- First, connect to a server in a Viaplay supported region.
- Head over to viaplay.com (This will redirect you to the version of Viaplay based on the connected server).
- Next, pick your plan.
- Now, regardless of the server, the website will ask you to choose a Viaplay region. Choose the one that corresponds to your VPN connection.
- Enter your email address and password, then click on Confirm and Create Account.
- Submit your payment information and hit Confirm.
- You now have a Viaplay subscription.
Please note that the webpage you visit will be based on Viaplay’s region, which means the language will reflect it. In the steps above, we translated the page to English, which we advise you to do as well. It’s more convenient.
How to Watch Viaplay on Any Device Anywhere
With a VPN and a Viaplay subscription, we can now proceed to how you can get the Viaplay app on your device.
To get Viaplay on your iOS or Android mobile device, follow the steps below:
- Install the VPN on your device and connect to a Swedish server.
- Change your Native App Store’s region to Sweden and get the Viaplay app:
- Launch Viaplay and sign in with your account.
- Stream live and on-demand content anywhere.
Watching Viaplay on your PC or Mac isn’t that hard of a task. All you need to do is this:
- Download and install the VPN app on your device.
- Sign in with your account and connect to a Swedish server.
- Head over to viaplay.com and log in with your credentials.
- Play your video and enjoy.
With Chromecast, things tend to get a bit harder as you can’t download the app if abroad. To watch Viaplay, you must follow the steps below:
- Install a VPN on your router and connect to a Swedish server.
- Download and install the Viaplay app on your mobile device and sign in.
- Play the video and hit the cast button.
- Stream on your TV through Chromecast wherever you are.
Getting the Viaplay app on your gaming console requires the steps below:
- Install a VPN on your router or configure Smart DNS on your console.
- Change your Store’s region to Sweden and get the Viaplay app.
- Launch Viaplay, sign in, and start streaming.
Viaplay – Info and Instructions.
Do you want to know more? Check out this FAQ section, it’ll shed some light on most of what you’re looking for:
What Devices Can I Watch Viaplay on?
You can stream Viaplay on Android, PC, Chromecast, Mac, iPhone, and Xbox, and Playstation.
No. Viaplay is not free. You’ll need a subscription to access its content. However, if you’re a new customer, you can benefit from a 14-day free trial.
Why Can’t I Watch Sports with My Viaplay Package?
That’s because the normal subscription does not include live sports. If you wish to add the feature, you must subscribe to Viaplay Total.
How Much Does Viaplay Cost?
The pricing depends on the version of Viaplay you wish to access. For example, if you want the Swedish Viaplay, you’ll have to pay SEK 129/month.
Is There Any Way to Watch Viaplay Content for Free?
Yes. NENT Group made it possible for users to watch its linear channels for free via its ViaFree platform. However, this service does not allow you to stream sports, movies, and Viaplay-exclusive series.
What Sports Can I Watch on Viaplay?
Viaplay is probably the best option to watch live sports. With a Viaplay Total account, you can stream any of the following:
- Premier League
- UEFA Europa League
- Formula 1
- PGA Golf Tour
- Ryder Cup
What Are the Best Shows to Watch on Viaplay?
Viaplay has a huge library of television series. To name a few, here’s a list of some of the titles:
- The Good Doctor
- The Fresh Prince of Bel Air
- The Handmaid’s Tale
- The Office
- Sons of Anarchy
- Prison Break
- How I Met Your Mother
- Black Sails
- White Collar
- The Affair
- Mr. Robit
Where is Viaplay Available?
The Viaplay streaming service is only available in Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, and Poland.
On March 1st, 2022, ViaPlay expanded its coverage to reach the Netherlands. It now acts as the official broadcaster of Formula 1 in the country.
How to unblock & watch ViaPlay
If you follow the steps above carefully, you’ll be able to watch any version of Viaplay wherever you may be residing.
You can always post a comment for additional info and help about how to unblock and watch Viaplay using Smart DNS or VPN.