How to jailbreak FireStick? The Amazon Fire TV Stick has quickly become one of the most popular streaming devices in the word. This is due to the fact that all the popular streaming service have apps on this nifty device. But that’s not the only cause of the sudden rise in the FireStick’s popularity. Many people purchase one so they can install Kodi on it. Although Kodi isn’t available via the official Amazon Store, you can still set up Kodi on a FireStick by sideloading the app in it. This is what has become as “Jailbreaking a FireStick”. In the guide below, you can find detailed easy-to-follow instructions on how to jailbreak a Fire Stick with Alexa Voice Remote in 2022.
What Is Jailbreaking a FireStick?
To Jailbreak a FireStick means to sideload third-party apps on it. The act of jailbreaking your FireStick doesn’t involve altering its operating system. There’s no need for that. Instead, you simply install Android apps that cannot be found in the Amazon Store on it. These apps include Kodi, Terrarium TV, YouTube, and Mobdro.
How to Jailbreak FireStick?
In order to jailbreak your FireStick, you have to follow two steps. First, you need to install ES Explorer on it. Once that is done, you will be able to install Kodi and other third-party apps on your FireStick. Here’s how it’s all done.
1. Install ES Explorer on FireStick
- Launch your FireStick
- Next go to ‘Settings’ -> ‘System’ -> ‘Developer Options.’
- Now, Turn on ‘Allow apps from unknown sources.’
- From the Amazon Fire Stick main menu, go to ‘Search.’
- Type ‘ES Explorer’.
- Click on the ES Explorer app icon to download and install it.
- Finally, launch the ES Explorer app.
2. Install Kodi on FireStick
- From the ES Explorer menu, go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Download Manager’ in the left-hand menu.
- Click on ‘+ New’ from the bottom menu.
- For ‘Path’, type https://thevpn.guru/kodi.apk and click ‘OK’.
- For ‘Name’, input ‘Kodi’.
- Select ‘Download Now’
- The Kodi installation file will now begin to download.
- You can select the ‘Hide’ option. Then go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Download Manager’ to check the download process.
- Once the Kodi apk file is downloaded, you can install it on your FireStick.
- Go back to your FireStick home screen.
- Launch the Kodi app.
In order to pin the Kodi app to your FireStick home screen, follow these steps:
- On your FireStick home screen, scroll down to ‘Your Apps & Games’.
- Now scroll left and select ‘See All’.
- Locate the Kodi app and press the button with 3 horizontal lines on your FireStick remote.
- Click on ‘Move to front’.
- Go back to your FireStick home screen.
Once you open Kodi on FireStick, you have to install some Kodi add-ons. Take a look at our list of Best Kodi Addons for FireStick for more info on how to set them all up.
How to Stream Safely on FireStick using VPN
Depending on your current country of residence, you might get into legal trouble when using certain apps to stream content on your FireStick. In order to stay on the safe side, it’s best to use VPN on your Fire Stick. This will allow you to hide all your streaming activities. You can also use VPN in order to unblock geo-restricted FireStick apps that would normally not function in your region. Here’s how you can install VPN on FireStick.
- First head over to ExpressVPN and register your VPN account.
- Launch your Fire Stick or Amazon Fire TV.
- Go to ‘Apps’ at the top of your home screen.
- Now select ‘Categories’ -> ‘Utility’.
- Choose the ExpressVPN app.
- In case you cannot find the ‘Utility’ section on your FireStick, simply use the search function and look for ExpressVPN on the Amazon Store instead.
- Next, Select the ‘Get’ button to download the app.
- Once it has downloaded and installed, choose ‘Open’.
- Then, sign into the VPN app using your ExpressVPN Username and Password.
- Finally, choose the VPN server location you wish to connect to.
- Once the VPN connection has been established, simply click the home button on your Fire Stick remote control.
Best VPN for FireStick
Most addons and apps on FireStick only work in certain regions such as USA, UK, Canada, Australia, and Germany. To bypass these regional restrictions and watch live and on-demand content on any addon or channel you want anywhere you want, you have to spoof your location online using VPN. Below are some of the benefits you get when using VPN with Amazon Fire Stick.
- Unblock Geo-restricted Kodi Add-ons: There are a lot of Kodi addons, such as USTVNow, that you can only use in certain regions. With VPN you can bypass regional restrictions.
- Bypass ISP Throttling: Ever noticed that your Internet speed is decent if you are browsing websites but suddenly drops when you are watching videos online? If that is the case, your ISP is probably throttling your Internet speed. Using VPN basically allows you to avoid that from happening.
- Ultimate Privacy: Add an extra layer of privacy and security to all your online activities.
- VPN Applications: You don’t have to be a tech-freak to set up a VPN connection thanks to user-friendly VPN apps on PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and FireStick.
From personal experience, ExpressVPN is the best VPN service you can use with FireStick. They have optimized their VPN apps to work better with the Amazon FireStick and have a no-logs policy. Check out our reviewed list of the best FireStick VPNs in 2022 here.
Is Jailbreaking FireStick Legal?
It depends. In order to determine whether jailbreaking your FireStick is legal or illegal, you have to look at what streams you are watching on it. In case you’re only using your FireStick to watch legal broadcasts, you have nothing to worry about. However, you might get into trouble if you jailbreak your FireStick in order to watch copyrighted movies, channels, and TV shows.
Best Apps to Install on Jailbroken FireStick
Here’s a list of popular Android apps you can install on your FireStick.
How to Jailbreak FireStick – Wrap Up
Hopefully, the guide above has given you enough info about how to jailbreak FireStick. In case you do need further help, feel free to drop a comment below.