I had to jailbreak my Firestick. I just had to. I wanted to gain control over my own device and have the luxury to customize it the way I like without any restrictions. My FireStick has plenty of good stuff in stock that I can’t access due to geo-restrictions, but I won’t have it that way. So, jailbreaking is what I did to bring the fun element to the FireStick experience, and so should you.
How to Jailbreak FireStick in 2019
How to jailbreak FireStick? The Amazon Fire TV Stick has become probably the most important streaming device in the word. This is due to the fact that all the popular streaming service have apps on this nifty device. But that’s not the only cause of the sudden rise in the FireStick’s popularity.
Many people purchase one so they can install Kodi on it. Although Kodi isn’t available via the official Amazon Store, you can still set up Kodi on a FireStick by sideloading the app in it. This is what has become as “Jailbreaking a FireStick”. This following guide is where you can find detailed easy-to-follow instructions on how to jailbreak a Fire Stick with Alexa Voice Remote in 2019.
Is Jailbreaking FireStick Legal?
It depends. In order to determine whether jailbreaking your FireStick is legal or illegal, you should look at what streams you are watching on it. In case you’re only using your FireStick to watch legal broadcasts, you have nothing to worry about. However, you might get into trouble if you jailbreak your FireStick in order to watch copyrighted movies, channels, and TV shows.
What Is Jailbreaking a FireStick?
To Jailbreak a FireStick means to sideload third-party apps on it. The act of jailbreaking your FireStick doesn’t involve altering its operating system. There’s no need for that. Instead, you simply install Android apps that cannot be found in the Amazon Store on it. These apps include Kodi, Terrarium TV, YouTube, and Mobdro.
How to Jailbreak FireStick?
In order to jailbreak your FireStick, you have to follow two steps. First, you need to install ES Explorer on it. Once that is done, you will be able to install Kodi and other third-party apps on your FireStick. Here’s how it’s all done.
1. Install ES Explorer on FireStick
- Launch your FireStick.
- Next visit ‘Settings’ -> ‘System’ -> ‘Developer Options.’
- Now, activate ‘allow apps from unknown sources.’
- Go to ‘Search’ from Amazon Fire Stick’s main menu.
- Type in the search button ‘ES Explorer’.
- Press on ES Explorer app.
- Download and install the ES Explorer app.
- Finally, start the ES Explorer application.
2. Install Kodi on FireStick
- Press ‘Tools’ -> ‘Download Manager’ in the left-hand menu right from the ES Explorer menu.
- From the bottom menu, press ‘+ New’.
- To get ‘Path’, type in https://thevpn.guru/kodi.apk.
- Now, click ‘OK’.
- For ‘Name’, type in ‘Kodi’.
- Click on ‘Download Now’
- Next thing you know, downloading the Kodi installation file begins.
- Select the ‘Hide’ option.
- Go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Download Manager’ to monitor the download process.
- Install Kodi on your FireStick once the Kodi apk file is downloaded.
- Then, go back to your FireStick home screen.
- Finally, activate the Kodi app.
If you want to go get the Kodi app and pin it on your FireStick home screen, all you have to do is follow these steps:
- Look for ‘Your Apps & Games’ on your FireStick Home Screen.
- Move left, and then press ‘See All’.
- Once you locate the Kodi app, press the button on your FireStick remote.
- Press on ‘Move to front’.
- Now, return to your FireStick home screen.
Once you open Kodi on FireStick, you have to install some Kodi add-ons. Take a look at our list of Best Kodi Add-ons for FireStick for more info on how to set them all up.
How to Stream Safely on FireStick using VPN
Depending on your current country of residence, you might get into legal trouble when using certain apps to stream content on your FireStick. In order to stay on the safe side, it’s best to use a VPN on your Fire Stick. This will allow you to hide all your streaming activities.
You can also use VPN in order to unblock geo-restricted FireStick apps that would normally not function in your region. Here’s how you can install VPN on FireStick.
Last Updated Today
- First, check out ExpressVPN and then create a VPN account.
- Second, start your Fire Stick or Amazon Fire TV.
- From your home screen, click on ‘Apps’.
- Tap on ‘Categories’ -> ‘Utility’.
- Now, select the ExpressVPN app.
- Now, if you didn’t find the ‘Utility’ part on your FireStick, instead look for ExpressVPN in the Amazon Store.
- Click on the ‘Get’ button.
- Download the app, then press ‘Open’.
- Sign into the VPN app with your previously created account.
- Finally, choose the VPN server location you wish to connect to.
- Wait for the VPN connection to be established.
- Finally, press the home button on your FireStick remote control.
Why Need a VPN for FireStick
There are certain Firestick add-ons and apps that only operate in specific regions like the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, and Germany. In order to beat those restrictions and stream live or on-demand material from an addon, you will have to change your location by using a VPN. Keep in mind that using a VPN with Amazon Fire Stick comes with a lot of benefits, and they are:
- Beat restrictions on Kodi Add-ons: A VPN can help unblock restricted Kodi add-ons that are like mentioned above available in specific regions only.
- All the Privacy: The VPN hides your online identity and therefore you get your online privacy.
- Escape ISP Throttling: No ISP can throttle your speed anymore once connected to a VPN.
- VPN Applications: Make use of user-friendly VPN apps that are offered on any platform like PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and FireStick.
Best VPN for FireStick
Based on my experience, ExpressVPN is the best VPN you can operate on a FireStick. The company has optimized its user-friendly VPN apps so that they work better with the Amazon FireStick. The no logs policy is crucial for those who care about their online security and privacy. Add to that, the company’s use of military grade encryptions make this choice a secure one. To be well-informed, you might want to check out our review of the best FireStick VPNs in 2019 here.
Best Apps to Install on Jailbroken FireStick
Check out all the major apps you can get on your FireStick.
Jailbreak FireStick – Wrap Up
Get free access to all your favorite content from movies to TV shows, you can do whatever you want with the knowledge that jailbreaking is totally legal. Now, you know how to jailbreak FireStick and in case you need any further help, feel free to drop a comment below.