There are two ways to hide your IP address in order to watch American Crackle outside U.S. VPN and Smart DNS. Further information about both setups and their advantages can be found down below.
What is Crackle?
Crackle is a free entertainment network that works on many platforms such as Android devices, iPhones, iPads, Xbox, PS3, PlayStation 4, Apple TV, and many more. Unfortunately, Crackle is only available in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and across 18 countries in Latin America. So if you live in countries such as Germany, France, U.K., Spain, or any other EU country for that matter, you won’t be able to enjoy any of Crackle’s free features. Additionally, all the Crackle-supported countries get only a subset of the American Crackle, so the method below allows you to get the American version of Crackle, which is the one with the most movies and TV shows.
Crackle – 21 Countries, Several Catalogs
The service itself is available in 21 countries. However, its content varies depending on the region. That’s a form of geo-blocking, where a channel restricts some of its services based on the individual’s location.
It does that by looking up the users’ IP address, determines their location, and assigns them a certain catalog based on the region they reside in.
Sony’s Crackle has around 26 million registered users in the countries where it’s available. However, these numbers can certainly increase if others got their hands on it.
Those who live outside the 21 countries only get the following error message:
“Thanks for visiting. Unfortunately, we’re not currently available in this region.”
It’s no problem, Crackle can be accessed easily from anywhere in the world. So far, the American catalog is the richest among all. Well, it is a US channel after all. So we’ll be teaching our readers how to access that in the next part.
Watch Crackle outside the U.S. using a VPN
VPN, which stands for a virtual private network, helps you spoof your IP so that it appears your traffic is being generated from the USA. For example, while you’re actually living/working overseas/studying in Germany, France, or the U.K. This way you will be able to watch American Crackle no matter where you live. VPN also has additional benefits.
- It secures all your traffic making it impossible for your ISP to snoop on your online activity.
- Internet speed might decrease if a cheap VPN is acquired. However, reliable VPN providers such as ExpressVPN provide faster speeds and proper support when needed.
- VPN is the perfect tool to bypass suspicious ISP policies such as DNS Hijacking or Transparent proxies.
- If a client chooses a VPN based in the USA, all American services such as Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, or Dramafever become available.
- Some devices such as Smart TVs might not benefit from VPN unless you have a router that supports VPN.
If you are on the lookout for a VPN, check out ExpressVPN, they do have easy to install and use VPN apps for iPhone, Ipad, iPod, Android, PC, and Mac.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
How to Unblock Crackle outside the U.S using Smart DNS Proxies
Another way to watch Crackle outside the U.S. is Smart DNS (Domain Name System). Unlike VPN, Smart DNS keeps your traffic unencrypted. While VPN redirects all your traffic to the server of the country where the VPN is based, a Smart DNS Proxy intelligently only chooses the necessary bits of traffic and redirects them accordingly. As a result, you’ll be able to enjoy local services and be applications that are exclusive to specific regions at the same time. Other advantages include:
- Speed: No speed loss since traffic is not encrypted.
- Multiregional: You can watch BBC Iplayer, American Netflix, BEIN Sports, Canal+ simultaneously without the need for any additional configurations or changes.
- Convenient: Setting up a Smart DNS is really easy. Just sign up, acquire DNS codes, and input them into a router or device.
- Platforms: All your gadgets and devices (Apple, Windows, Android, Smart TVs) can be used with Smart DNS.
- Your ISP might use DNS hijacking or Transparent proxies and thus rendering Smart DNS useless. In such cases, VPN is recommended.
Unlocator is a reliable Smart DNS provider. They even have a free 7-day trial, over 214 supported channels, and easy-to-understand Video and Picture guides.
Supported Devices :
- Android Tablets
- Android Phone
- Windows 8
- Windows Phone
- Xbox 360
- Xbox One
- Apple TV
- PlayStation Store
- Kindle Fire HD
- Amazon Fire TV
Both VPN and Smart DNS Proxies allow you to greatly increase your internet freedom and get rid of any geo-restrictions. Both U.S. expats or residents outside the U.S. can benefit from these solutions to enjoy watching Netflix, Roku, Crackle, HBO, Canal+, Vudu, BEIN Sports, BBC Iplayer, WWE Network, Apple TV, and many more. Which service suits better is based on your needs, if you are still confused, feel free to send a comment.