How to install Kodi 18 Leia on Android, PC, Mac, Raspberry Pi, or Fire Stick? Kodi 18 is a new build still in development. It is set to replace the current version of Kodi 17.1 Krypton in the future. In this guide, you can find detailed instructions on how to setup Kodi 18 Leia on your device. Due to the build still being in development mode, there are bound to be bugs. Kodi 18 Leia could be unstable and is for users that do not fear bugs or possibly crashes.
How to Install Kodi 18 Leia Build
Kodi 18 Leia vs Kodi 17 Krypton
- At the moment, there aren’t as many visual changes when comparing the two builds.
- Both Kodi 18 and Kodi 17.1 currently use the Estuary skin. This might change in the future though.
- It seems as if Kodi 18 will focus on adding gaming compatibility.
- Major changes have not yet been publicized by Kodi. Keep an eye on the Kodi 18 change log for future updates.
- We’ll update this article accordingly once new Kodi 18 info is made available.
How to Install Kodi 18 Leia on My Device?
In order to setup Kodi 18 follow the guide below. The installation will not replace your current Kodi app if you are using Android.
- First, head over to the official Kodi download page.
- From there, choose your operating system.
Install Kodi 18 Leia Nightly Build
- Once the pop-up window shows up, choose ‘Development build.
How to Install Kodi 18
- Now click on the blue botton next to ‘Nightly’.
How to Install Kodi 18 Leia
- The Kodi 18 Leila installation file will now begin to download.
- Once you’ve downloaded the file, all you have to do is open it to launch the installation process.
How Did They Come Up with the New Name?
‘Leia’ is the new codename for the latest Kodi version. “Krypton” was the codename for Kodi v17 while “Jarvis” was the codename for Kodi 16″. You will often see “v18” and “Leia” used interchangeably in the XBMC community.
According to the official Kodi website, “Kodi 18 is named “Leia” in honor of the late Carrie Fisher, as a tribute to one of the characters that defined an industry, and as a celebration of the whole Star Wars universe.”
Best VPN for Kodi in 2017
Illegal or pirated live streams on Kodi have been getting lots of bad publicity in the last couple of months. Copyright trolls in the UK, USA, Canada, and Australia have been cracking down on such streams. To avoid getting caught while streaming on Kodi, and getting a copyright infringement notice as a result, you have to encrypt your traffic and hide your IP address. By using virtual private network, you can browse the web anonymously. All you have to do is download and install a VPN app and then connect to a VPN server. Once done, your IP address is hidden and you get to take advantage of the following features.
- Unblock Geo-restricted Kodi Add-ons: There are a lot of Kodi addons that you can only use in certain regions. With VPN you can stream whichever addon you want, wherever you are.
- Bypass ISP Throttling: Ever noticed that your Internet speed is decent if you are browsing websites but suddenly drops when you are watching videos online? If that is the case, your ISP is probably throttling your Internet speed. Using VPN basically allows you to avoid that from happening.
- Ultimate Privacy: Nobody, not even your ISP, can see what you are doing online.
- VPN Applications: You don’t have to be a tech-freak to setup a VPN connection thanks to user-friendly VPN apps on PC, Mac, Android, iOS, and FireStick.
From personal experience, IPVanish is the best VPN service you can use with Kodi. They have optimized their VPN apps to work better with Kodi add-ons and have a no-logs policy. Check out our reviewed list of the best Kodi VPNs in 2017 below.
Is Kodi 18 Leia Better than Kodi 17?
For the time being, we advise you to stick to the stable Kodi 17.1 version. If you want to give Leia 18 a try, make sure you back up all of your current files first. Share your first Kodi 18 impressions in the comment box below.