How to Get 9Now outside Australia (Unblock Channel 9 Abroad)
Can I watch 9Now outside Australia? 9Now is an Australian TV channel that offers live and on-demand streaming in Australia. The service is completely free, with broadcasting rights that include Cricket, Golf, and a lot more.
However, Channel 9 is geo-blocked outside Australia in countries including Canada, UK, the US, Italy, and France. In other words, anyone living overseas won’t get the chance to access the free channel.
Well, that won’t be the case for long. All you have to do is follow the steps in this guide and you’ll be able to unblock and watch 9Now anywhere in the world.
Unblock 9Now Anywhere – Quick Guide
Time needed: 5 minutes.
9Now is a free channel that offers premium content. It’s quite frustrating for Aussie ex-pats to struggle while trying to access such a local channel abroad. We’re not going to take much of your time. So, here’s how you can unblock 9Now outside Australia.
- Sign up with a VPN service provider.
We highly recommend ExpressVPN due to its efficiency and speed.
- Download the ExpressVPN app on your device.
They have clients on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, as well as FireStick.
- Activate the software and sign in with your credentials.
You’ll be asked to provide a code sent to your Email.
- Connect to an Australian server.
This step will give you an IP address in Australia.
- Launch the channel’s website or application.
You can follow the steps provided below to install the 9Now app on any device.
- Sign in with your 9Now account and start streaming.
If you don’t have an account, we also added a step-by-step walkthrough in this guide.
9Now Anywhere – A Detailed Analysis
When it comes to streaming geo-blocked content in different regions, you must learn everything about how geo-blocking works, what devices to use, and, of course, how to get a geo-restricted app on your device.
Now, you know how to unblock 9Now abroad. We’re going to give you an in-depth look at the whole process below:
What You Need
To unblock and watch Channel 9 outside Australia, you should have the following:
- A VPN subscription.
- 9Now account.
- A 9Now-compatible device.
Is 9Now Available Outside Australia?
9Now is one of the biggest channels in the country. The Nine Entertainment Company’s channel is viewed by more than 2.49 million Australians.
That number could’ve been a lot higher if the channel was made available globally. Instead, it uses geo-blocking techniques such as examining your IP address to determine your location and restrict your access accordingly.
If you try to watch or sign up to 9Now overseas, you’ll get one of the following:
- “This video is restricted from playing in your current geographic region. player_err_geo_restricted”
- “Sorry, 9Now is only available in Australia.”
- “Geo-blocked. Access is not available in your location.”
- “It looks like you are currently out of the country. This app is only available in Australia.”
The first and more common path to dealing with the issue of watching Channel 9 outside of the country, is by using a VPN.
What Can A VPN DO?
All a Virtual Private Network does is changes your computer’s IP address given to it by your ISP and make it appear to be attached to an IP address of a computer in Australia.
It’s quite simple actually and allows you to stream Channel 9 without a problem; you could also stream on other platforms such as HBO Go, Netflix, Showtime, and FetchTV.
Since all these providers geo-block the users outside of their designated countries, a VPN can do the trick and unlock them for you.
- One of the major upsides to using a VPN is that you get more security and privacy while browsing or streaming the net and you would feel as if your connection is shielded.
- Each device that you want to unblock content on needs to have the VPN software installed on it; luckily most quality VPN’s support most devices including a PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Android.
A VPN that should be able to handle the weight of your job is ExpressVPN. Using ExpressVPN allows you to unblock and watch 9Now outside Australia. There are many other VPN providers that allow you to access geo-blocked Australian channels overseas.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited Time 72% Discount
- Unlimited VPN connections
- Over 1000 servers
- Ad-blocking feature available
- User-friendly application
- Exclusive Smart VPN feature
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
Creating a 9Now Account Outside Australia
Before you start streaming, please note that you won’t be able to stream anything without a 9Now account. It’s free and very easy to create:
- First, open your VPN app and connect to an Australian server.
- Head over to https://www.9now.com.au/
- Click on Log In on the top right corner of your screen.
- Enter your email address and click continue.
- Then submit a password and hit continue again.
- Submit the required information. For the postcode, use (5999).
- Open your email and verify your newly created account.
- Go back to 9Now’s website, log in, and start streaming.
Get 9Now on Any Device
Now that you have a VPN subscription, as well as a 9Now account, here’s how you can stream 9Now on any device you may be operating:
If you own an Android mobile, Android TV (Sony Bravia, Nvidia Shield, etc.), or tablet, you can follow these steps in order to watch 9Now:
- First, download the VPN app on your Android device.
- Sign in with your VPN account and connect to an Australian server.
- Change your Google Play Store region to Australia and get the 9Now app.
- Launch 9Now, log in with your account, and start streaming.
Those who have an iPhone or iPad should do the following:
- Get the VPN app from your App Store and connect to a server in Australia.
- Change your App Store region to Australia and download the 9Now app.
- Launch the app, sign in, and start watching top Australian content.
If you’re an Apple TV user, the following steps are required to download and watch 9Now:
- First, you must set up the VPN on your router or configure Smart DNS on Apple TV.
- Change the Apple TV App Store region to Australia and download the 9Now app.
- Activate 9Now.
- Watch Channel 9’s best series and sports anywhere in the world.
Do you have a Samsung Smart TV or an LG Smart TV? Then here’s what you need to do:
- First, set up a VPN connection (Australian server) on your router. You can also directly configure Smart DNS on your TVs.
- Change your Smart TV region to Australia:
- Download the 9Now app, sign in with your account, and binge away.
Chromecast requires different steps as it doesn’t allow Smart DNS configuration. Therefore, go through the following to get 9Now:
- Set up a VPN connection or Smart DNS on your router.
- On the device, you wish to cast 9Now from, get the channel’s app.
- Turn on your Chromecast and play your video.
- Hit cast and start watching.
If you have an Amazon FireStick or TV, this is what you need to do:
- Download the VPN app on your FireStick and connect to an Australian server.
- Change your Amazon Account region to Australia and get the 9Now app.
- If that’s too much of a hassle, you can sideload the 9Now app on FireStick.
- Now, launch the 9Now app, sign in, and stream anything, anywhere.
If you have a PS4, follow these steps to watch 9Now abroad:
- Install the VPN on your router and connect to an Australian server. You can also configure Smart DNS on your PlayStation.
- Change your PSN region to Australia and download 9Now.
- Launch the app and sign in.
- Start streaming your favorite shows and sports anywhere.
Watch 9Now Anywhere – Frequently Asked Questions
A lot of you have more questions that need answers. That’s why we created this FAQ section to help you out as much as we can:
What Devices Can I Watch 9Now on?
You can stream 9Now on major platforms such as Android, iOS, PC, Mac, Apple TV, Chromecast, Smart TVs, Android TV, Amazon Fire Stick, and PlayStation 4.
Do I Need an Account to Watch 9Now?
Yes. You can’t stream 9Now’s content without creating an account first.
Can I Create a 9Now Account Outside Australia?
Sadly, no. If you want to sign up to 9Now, you must connect to an Australian VPN server first, then visit the website.
Is 9Now Free?
Yes. The channel is completely free. No subscription fees are required to watch 9Now’s content.
Where Do I Get an Australian Post Code?
To create a 9Now account, you must submit an Australian Post Code. If you don’t know what to use, you can enter one of these: 8000, 8999, 5999, 2618, or 0299.
What Can I Watch on 9Now?
With a 9Now account, you get to stream content like 24, Agatha Christie’s Marple, Almost Human, Australian Open, Chicago Fire, Dallas, Dating Naked, Desperate Housewives, Dynasties, Gallipoli, Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Law & Order, Love Island (USA, UK, Australia), Roland Garros, Take Me Out, and more.
How to Unblock and Watch Channel 9 outside Australia
As an Australian ex-pat living abroad, you would like to get access to Australian streaming channels back home like Channel 9, Channel 7, TenPlay, SBS, or ABC iView while outside Australia.
Once you’re done with this guide, all of that is possible. Remember, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us in the comment section below.
All the above comments .. yes your VPN may work for a period of time and then suddenly it is geoblocked and there your VPN subscription is useless, unless the VPN provider work on updating their system to get through. I have Pure VPN and it cannot get anything in OZ other than ABC. Nine is a very difficult site to access as they obviously have advanced detection. I had more success for a while using the free VPNs on FireFox but they don’t work either. Makes me very wary on paying too much for a VPN that ends up being useless.