It’s that night of the year where Hollywood legends and bright young newcomers compete for the most prestigious prize in the industry: the iconic golden statuette. The Oscars will be taking place on April 26th, 2021, in Los Angeles, at both the Dolby Theatre and Union Station. The nominations were announced on March 15th, 2021 and they’re well-deserving. Fans of the Big Screen wait on an annual basis to see the grandest ceremony, but geo-restrictions prohibit them from streaming it if they live in certain locations. That won’t be a problem anymore as we’re here to help. Here’s how you can stream the 93rd Oscars live anywhere in the world.
How to Watch Oscars 2021 Live Online
The 93nd Academy Awards Live-Stream – Content Index
Whether you’re in the United States, Canada, Australia, or anywhere else in the world, in this guide you’ll learn how to stream the 2021 Oscar Ceremony live. Here’s everything included in the following article:
Oscars 2021 – Official Broadcasters
No matter where you reside, there’s always an official broadcaster for the Oscars. That’s how popular the ceremony is across the globe. People in the US are now used to streaming the event on ABC Go.
But the question is, can those outside the country do so? Simple answer, definitely yes. There are several streaming channels in specific countries acting as official broadcasters to the Oscars.
However, all the channels we’ll be mentioning today are geo-restricted to their respective region. In other words, if you don’t live in these countries, you won’t be able to watch the Oscars.
You see, streaming channels have copyright laws, which force them to restrict their access to a specific location. They can determine yours by examining your IP address.
If you’re not within the area of coverage, you’re getting blocked. But that’s a problem we’ll be fixing shortly. For now, take a look at the official Oscars broadcasters below:
To find a solution, we needed to address the problem. And now that we did that, let’s help you unblock any of the aforementioned channels in your region, wherever it is.
Oscars 2021 – Stream Live Anywhere
As we mentioned, your IP address is the main reason you’re getting blocked by those channels. Let us give you an example. ABC Go is only available in the United States, which means that it requires an American IP address.
Well, if you live abroad, a US IP is exactly what you lack. As a result, the channel will terminate your access and give you an error message that looks like this:
“You appear to be outside the United States or its territories. Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the United States and its territories.”
However, if you change your IP, you can seem to be browsing the web from any part of the world, particularly in one of the channels’ supported regions.
This process is easily done with the use of a Virtual Private Network. It’s a cybersecurity tool that reroutes your traffic through a dedicated server in a country of your choosing.
The moment you connect, the VPN will encrypt your data (extra security) and mask your IP address (extra anonymity), assigning you a temporary one based in the region where the server is located. Consequently, you’ll be able to access whatever service/website restricted to that territory.
For example, if you connect to a US server, you’ll obtain an American IP address. Eventually, you can stream the likes of ABC and other US-restricted channels no matter where you physically are.
the 93nd Oscars Live-Stream Anywhere – The Steps
Connecting to a VPN server is not that hard of a task. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be watching the Oscars live in no time:
- First, you must sign up with a VPN service. According to our evaluation, ExpressVPN is highly recommended.
- Next, download and install the VPN application on the device you’re using. You’ll find clients on Android, PC, Mac, iOS, as well as Amazon Fire Stick.
- Now, run the app, sign in with your credentials, and head over to the server list.
- Connect to a server based on the channel you’re using:
- US server for ABC.
- UK server for Sky.
- Canadian server for CTV.
- Australian server for 7Plus, etc…
- Launch the channel’s website or application.
- Watch the 2021 Academy Awards live anywhere.
We rank VPN providers based on a strict evaluation process. ExpressVPN happens to have all the qualities you need to protect your device, maintain your privacy, and unblock hundreds of streaming services around the world.
While each channel supports a wide range of devices (not all VPN-compatible), ExpressVPN has a Smart DNS feature that allows you to unblock them on the likes of PS4, Chromecast, Xbox, PlayStation, and more.
However, ExpressVPN isn’t the only provider capable of doing so. You can check other top VPNs with a free Smart DNS service in the table below.
- Best for streaming and privacy
- High speed servers in 160 VPN locations
- Works for Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu
- 24/7/ live chat support
- 3 extra months free on annual plan
- UltraHD streaming
- Free Smart DNS proxy
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Limited time 72% discount
- 7-day free trial
- User-friendly application
- Standalone Smart DNS subscription available
- Extra security features
- Extensions for Firefox and Chrome
- Split-tunneling available
Watch the 93rd Oscars on Kodi
Are you a Kodi user? Do you want a way to watch the 2021 Oscars live on the popular streaming platform? Well, that can be arranged. You see, Kodi is well known for having hundreds of add-ons that grant you access to official channels around the world.
But today, the Oscars Ceremony is our main focus. Now you can find ABC Family’s add-on on Kodi, but that’s not what we’re looking for. We need full access to ABC’s live streaming, and that can only be managed through the USTVNow add-on.
On the other hand, USTVNow requires a subscription if you want to stream certain live channels. However, ABC is part of its free plan, which means that you’ll be able to watch the Oscars without having to pay a penny. How to do so? Follow the steps below, and you’re done.
- Go to USTVNow’s Official Website.
- Click on the “Sign Up” icon on the top right of the screen.
- Next, submit your Email, Name, Last Name, and Password.
- Don’t use your Facebook account; just create a new one with your own desired credentials.
- Once the details are entered, hit Sign Up.
- Check the box that says Agree to their terms and conditions.
- The channel will send you an email to finalize the process.
- You now have a free USTVNow account.
- As we mentioned, ABC is part of the free plan. If you want access to more channels, upgrade your plan.
- Finally, stream the 2021 Oscars for free.
Installing the USTVNow Add-on on Kodi
Now that you have yourself an account, let us teach you how to install the USTVNow add-on on your Kodi application:
- Run the Kodi application and head over to Add-ons.
- Do you see that Opened Package icon on the top left? Click on that.
- Next, click on “Install from Repository.”
- On the next page, select the “Kodi Add-on repository.”
- Choose “Video Add-ons.”
- Scroll down until you find the USTVNow’s Add-on.
- Now, click on Install.
- Once done, head back to Video Add-ons and activate USTVNow.
- Sign in with your username and password.
- Submit email first.
- Next, enter your password.
- It will ask you to restart your Kodi. Do so in order to proceed.
- Now you can watch the 2021 Oscars live for free.
Please note that much like the channels mentioned above, Kodi add-ons are also geo-restricted to specific countries. It has it in the name, so you probably already know that USTVNow is restricted to the United States only.
So, just like the case with ABC Go, all you have to do is use a Virtual Private Network, connect to an American server, and you can watch USTVNow anywhere in the world.
Watch the Academy Awards on FireStick
Fire Stick is one of the most popular streaming devices in the world. It allows you access to dozens of streaming services by downloading their official applications on the platform.
As for the channels broadcasting the Oscars, you’d be thrilled to know that ABC has a dedicated application on Fire Stick. So, it should be easy to stream the ceremony.
Here’s what you need to do:
- On the Firestick Home screen open the search tab.
- Type ABC app and hit the search icon.
- Select the ABC app in the search result.
- Choose the Get icon to start the downloading process.
- Once the download is complete, tap Open to launch the app
- Now, when you activate the app, an activation code will be required.
- On a PC or mobile, launch a web browser and enter the following URL: go.com/activate.
- Submit the activation code on your FireStick, and click Continue.
- Finally, choose your TV provider, and you’re all set.
As we mentioned above, ABC is only available in the US, which means you’ll also have to use a VPN to bypass regional restrictions in this case.
However, on FireStick, it’s so much easier as the likes of ExpressVPN have dedicated apps for the platform. You can simply set up a VPN connection of Amazon Fire Stick, select an American server, and access ABC anywhere.
The Devices You Can Use
The best thing about streaming channels is that they allow users to watch their content on a wide variety of devices. No matter what channel you choose to use, here are some of their supported platforms:
- Apple TV
- Fire Stick
- Smart TVs
- Android TV
- Xbox 360
- Xbox One
- Apple TV
- Apple TV
- Fetch TV
- Samsung TV
- Apple TV
- Android TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- Apple TV
- Samsung Smart TV
- Xbox One
- iPod Touch
- Apple TV
The 93rd Academy Awards (Oscars 2021) – The Ceremony
This year’s ceremony will take place on April 25th, 2021. However, this time around and due to COVID-19, there have been a lot of changes. First, it’s two months later than its original plan.
Second, it’s going to be hosted in two locations, both the Dolby Theatre and Union Station in Los Angeles. The Movie Mank has the most nominations this year, earning 10 this year. As with the previous year’s ceremony, there will be no host.
Well, as it turned out, the last Oscars was a success without a host, and this one will definitely show the same results as well. To give you an inside look at what to expect in the upcoming ceremony, here are a few of the nominees:
- The Father – Philippe Carcassonne, Jean-Louis Livi, and David Parfitt
- Judas and the Black Messiah – Ryan Coogler, Charles D. King and Shaka King
- Mank – Ceán Chaffin, Eric Roth, and Douglas Urbanski
- Minari – Christina Oh
- Nomadland – Mollye Asher, Dan Janvey, Frances McDormand, Peter Spears and Chloé Zhao
- Promising Young Woman – Ben Browning, Emerald Fennell, Ashley Fox and Josey McNamara
- Sound of Metal – Bert Hamelinick and Sacha Ben Harroche
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 – Stuart M. Besser and Marc Platt
- Lee Isaac Chung – Minari
- Emerald Fennell – Promising Young Woman
- David Fincher – Mank
- Thomas Vinterberg – Another Round
- Chloé Zhao – Nomadland
- Riz Ahmed – Sound of Metal as Ruben Stone
- Chadwick Boseman – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom as Levee Green (p.n.)
- Anthony Hopkins – The Father as Anthony
- Gary Oldman – Mank as Herman J. Mankiewicz
- Steven Yeun – Minari as Jacob Yi
- Viola Davis – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom as Ma Rainey
- Andra Day – The United States vs. Billie Holiday as Billie Holiday
- Vanessa Kirby – Pieces of a Woman as Martha Weiss
- Frances McDormand – Nomadland as Fern
- Carey Mulligan – Promising Young Woman as Cassandra “Cassie” Thomas
Best Supporting Actor
- Sacha Baron Cohen – The Trial of the Chicago 7 as Abbie Hoffman
- Daniel Kaluuya – Judas and the Black Messiah as Fred Hampton
- Leslie Odom Jr. – One Night in Miami… as Sam Cooke
- Paul Raci – Sound of Metal as Joe
- Lakeith Stanfield – Judas and the Black Messiah as William “Bill” O’Neal
Best Supporting Actress
- Maria Bakalova – Borat Subsequent Moviefilm as Tutar Sagdiyev
- Glenn Close – Hillbilly Elegy as Bonnie “Mamaw” Vance
- Olivia Colman – The Father as Anne
- Amanda Seyfried – Mank as Marion Davies
- Youn Yuh-jung – Minari as Soon-ja
Best Animated Feature Film
- Onward – Kori Rae and Dan Scanlon
- Over the Moon – Peilin Chou, Glen Keane and Gennie Rin
- A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon – Will Becher, Paul Kewley and Richard Phelan
- Soul – Pete Docter and Dana Murray
- Wolfwalkers – Tomm Moore, Stéphan Roelants, Ross Stewart and Paul Young
Best Original Song
- “Fight for You” from Judas and the Black Messiah – Music by D’Mile and H.E.R.; lyric by H.E.R. and Tiara Thomas
- “Hear My Voice” from The Trial of the Chicago 7 – Music by Daniel Pemberton; lyric by Celeste and Pemberton
- “Husavik” from Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga – Music and lyric by Rickard Göransson, Fat Max Gsus and Savan Kotecha
- “Io sì (Seen)” from The Life Ahead – Music by Diane Warren; lyric by Laura Pausini and Warren
- “Speak Now” from One Night in Miami… – Music and lyric by Sam Ashworth and Leslie Odom Jr.
Best Visual Effects
- Love and Monsters – Genevieve Camailleri, Brian Cox, Matt Everitt, and Matt Sloan
- The Midnight Sky – Matthew Kasmir, Chris Lawrence, Max Solomon, and David Watkins
- Mulan – Sean Andrew Faden, Steve Ingram, Anders Langlands, and Seth Maury
- The One and Only Ivan – Nick Davis, Greg Fisher, Ben Jones, and Santiago Colomo Martinez
- Tenet – Scott R. Fisher, Andrew Jackson, David Lee, and Andrew Lockley
Best Picture Movies – Where to Watch
Regardless of how important and prestigious every single award is in the ceremony, we all wait to see who wins Best Picture. While the theatres are either closed or accepting limited attendance, streaming services have them all. Here’s where you can watch them:
- The Father (Amazon, Google Play)
- Judas and the Black Messiah (HBO Max)
- Mank (Netflix)
- Minari (YouTube, Amazon, and Google Play)
- Nomadland (Hulu)
- Promising Young Woman (YouTube, Amazon, and Google Play)
- Sound of Metal (Amazon Prime Video)
- The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Netflix)
Watch the 2021 Oscars Live Anywhere – Final Words
The Oscars Ceremony is the most attractive night of the year, where superstars in the movie industry get awarded for the amazing jobs they did in the past year.
Now, everyone can tune in and watch the event no matter where they are located on the map. You have the solution; it comes in the form of a Virtual Private Network. So, in case you don’t have an official broadcaster in your company, you can now unblock any of the channels on the list with a push of a button.
Do you think that Leonardo Di Caprio will get his second Oscar? Which movie will score the Best Picture award? Share your predictions in the comments below.