How to unblock ITV Player in USA or elsewhere outside UK. If you are a British expat, a student overseas or simply on a temporary business trip, you will notice right away that your choice of TV is either limited or not to your home-bred taste. A lot of expats in USA, Australia, Canada, Qatar, Dubai, UAE, or Spain know what I am talking about. For those who want to watch ITV on PC, Mac, Apple TV, Roku, Fire Stick, iOS, or Android overseas, follow this guide.
Watch ITV in USA – Unblock ITV Player outside UK
How to Watch ITV in the USA – The basics
If you try to watch ITV outside of the UK, you will get a geolocation error that states the following. “We’re sorry. ITV Hub is only available to viewers in the UK.” If you want to bypass this error and watch ITV Hub in Spain, Australia, USA, Canada, or anywhere else outside the UK, you have to spoof your online location as explained in the following tutorial. This guide should work on all devices supported by ITV, namely IOS, Android and Smart TVs. The guide is also valid for itv1, itv2, itv3, itv4, itv player and c-itv. So if you want to enjoy British shows such X Factor and Coronation Street or live and free, please see the below :
- First of all, sign up with a VPN provider. I’ve been using ExpressVPN to watch ITV abroad for quite a while now.
- Download and install the VPN application on your PC, Mac, FireStick, Android, iOS device.
- Launch the VPN application and sign in using your VPN account.
- Now, connect to a UK VPN server. You’ll be granted a British IP address.
- Finally, visit ITV’s website or launch the ITV Hub application.
- Enjoy watching both live and on-demand ITV content from anywhere in the world.
How to Watch ITV outside UK with VPN
As mentioned in step 1 above you need either DNS or VPN. VPN stands for Virtual Private Network and is a network concept that creates an encrypted tunnel between your computer and the VPN server. This allows for :
- You can change your location to appear to be coming from the UK or US or elsewhere depending on the location of your VPN server.
- Your traffic is encrypted and protected from inspection and eavesdropping.
- You will be able to access all websites based on the location of your VPN server. So if you choose a VPN server in the UK, you will get BBC Iplayer, Demand 5, ITV and UK Netflix. If you choose a VPN server in the USA you will get Hulu Plus, Fox, HBO Go, and US Netflix.
- Setup of VPN from subscription to setup is an affair of a couple of minutes “Apps for all mobile and desktop OS”.
I personally do use a VPN Service called ExpressVPN. They offer great 24×7 support, 500 VPN servers in 168 locations and high-grade encryption standards.
You can use the VPN providers below to watch ITV and other UK channels in the USA, or anywhere else outside the UK.
Unblock & Watch ITV outside the UK using DNS
Smart DNS proxies operate on a different turf than VPN. While VPN does encrypt and re-route all your traffic Smart DNS only re-routes the traffic that identifies your geographic location. Hence, the name “Smart”. A few more notable benefits of Smart DNS can be seen below.
- All you need to do is change your DNS server on the device you want to support “Ipad, iPod, iPhone, Android, PS, Xbox, Wii, Apple TV, Roku, WD etc“, or your router for full support on your home network.
- You can watch multiple regions at once. For example, ITV or BBC Iplayer as UK TV content and Canalplus as French content, while enjoying US Netflix. All using the same configuration.
- Your traffic is not encrypted, this means less protection but a bit more speed. And Smart DNS only supports sites listed on the providers’ channel list. This includes normally the most commonly used entertainment sites though.
I personally can only recommend Unlocator. They sport a 7-day trial, excellent personal support, and great speeds. I have used them for free “beta is ending soon” the last 9 months with no hiccups now, I just watched the Arsenal-Bayern CL game last Tuesday on ITV using Unlocator. I have had not so encouraging experiences with other providers, for example, some browser plugins work good but don’t support my Smart TV or iPhone, other providers slowed down my Internet.
How to Sign up for an ITV Account for Free outside the UK?
Although ITV is a free streaming channel, you still have to sign up for an account in order to watch live and catch up programs. Simply follow these steps to register your free ITV account in USA, Canada, Australia or anywhere else outside the UK.
- Head over to the ITV website.
- Then, click on ‘Sign in’ in the top-right corner of your screen.
- On the next page, select ‘Sign up now’.
- Enter your details, including your title, name, email address, and date of birth.
- For ‘Postcode’, enter ‘WC1X 0AA’ without the quotations.
- Then, check the ‘ITV Terms and Condition Box’.
- Finally, select ‘I’m ready’.
You will then receive a confirmation email in your inbox. Click on the link inside it and your free ITV account will be ready to use.
ITV Player Supported Devices
You can get the ITV app on the following streaming platforms.
- Samsung Smart TV
- Amazon Fire TV
- Amazon FireStick
- Now TV
- Apple TV (via Airplay from iOS devices)
Best Shows on ITV
- American Dad!
- Britain’s Got Talent
- Coronation Street
- Champions League (Highlights)
- The Chase
- Downton Abbey
- Family Guy
- Good Morning Britain
- Hell’s Kitchen USA
- I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here!
- Inspector Morse
- ITV Racing
- The Jeremy Kyle Show
- Love Island
- Ninja Warrior UK
- The Real Housewives
- Rugby – Six Nations
- Sherlock Holmes
- Take Me Out
- The Cruise
- The Cube
- The Voice (UK)
ITV Live Channels
- itv encore
How to watch ITV in USA, Australia, or Canada – VPN or Smart DNS Proxy?
If you have experienced or found either VPN or SmartDNS better than the other to get ITV abroad please share your thoughts.